Bresse Chickens From Sunbird Farms??

Ari_m

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I’m looking to get a dozen Bresse hatching eggs when the weather warms up to keep them for meat. Does anyone have experience with Bresse from them? Or any other breeders. Looking for large, fast growing Bresse with a broad breast. I’ve heard some hatcheries don’t have great Bresse for meat production.

I ordered 6 black Bresse chickens from Bresse Farms but received 2 blacks, on blue and one that may be white with smoky markings, 3 RIR, and one chick that may have been a crested cream bar. I was supposed to get the chicks on 2/1/21 but got them on 1/25/21. I emailed the guy at the farm who said that for genetic purposes I should be breeding black Bresse to Blue Bresse, but what I ordered was 6 Black Bresse chicks. He hasn't responded about the 2 Bresse chicks I didn't receive. I also ordered food and a thermometer. I received food in a black garbage bag but not the thermometer, about 3 days after the chicks arrived. So I'm thinking they're not too organized there, or maybe I received someone else's chick order. Not too sure I will order from them again if they don't make my order right speedily.

I ordered 6 black Bresse chickens from Bresse Farms but received 2 blacks, on blue and one that may be white with smoky markings, 3 RIR, and one chick that may have been a crested cream bar. I was supposed to get the chicks on 2/1/21 but got them on 1/25/21. I emailed the guy at the farm who said that for genetic purposes I should be breeding black Bresse to Blue Bresse, but what I ordered was 6 Black Bresse chicks. He hasn't responded about the 2 Bresse chicks I didn't receive. I also ordered food and a thermometer. I received food in a black garbage bag but not the thermometer, about 3 days after the chicks arrived. So I'm thinking they're not too organized there, or maybe I received someone else's chick order. Not too sure I will order from them again if they don't make my order right speedily.
What a mess!

I hope the chicks do well for you

I ordered hatching eggs from Bresse Farms May 2020. It was NOT a good year to have eggs shipped. The eggs arrived broken, cracked and stinky. I only got 2 out of 72 to hatch and I usually have a 95% hatch rate with shipped eggs.

Anyway, they weren't able to refill the order at that time to make up for the loss, but I am due to have 25 chicks within the next few weeks. I was hoping to add some of my own to the mix since I have one pullet and one cockerel. Unfortunately, there are fertility issues. I plan to grow some out for meat and keep a few back for breeding.

@ronott1 At what age did you process the Bresse? Did you use the French method of feeding them corn and milk to finish off at the end? How did you prepare the bird to eat?

I ordered hatching eggs from Bresse Farms May 2020. It was NOT a good year to have eggs shipped. The eggs arrived broken, cracked and stinky. I only got 2 out of 72 to hatch and I usually have a 95% hatch rate with shipped eggs.

Anyway, they weren't able to refill the order at that time to make up for the loss, but I am due to have 25 chicks within the next few weeks. I was hoping to add some of my own to the mix since I have one pullet and one cockerel. Unfortunately, there are fertility issues. I plan to grow some out for meat and keep a few back for breeding.

@ronott1 At what age did you process the Bresse? Did you use the French method of feeding them corn and milk to finish off at the end? How did you prepare the bird to eat?
It was at 16 weeks-- I moved them into a cage and fed them milk and Kamut grain.

They were very good roasted!

It was at 16 weeks-- I moved them into a cage and fed them milk and Kamut grain.

They were very good roasted!
Thanks for the info. I'll be doing a mini-experiment here raising out Bresse, Speckled Sussex and Barred Rock to compare for meat birds. Still haven't found a meat bird that roasts up well, so it sounds like I may get a winner with the Bresse.

Back
Top Bottom