Bresse Chickens

Also this is the black chick in the group I think is bresse. There appears to be brownish on its head near the comb. It's the smallest chick of the bunch.
It's a Cemani but a cull and most likely a boy. The brown/red is called BBR and is something you strongly want to cull out of any Cemani breeding program. It will take generations to remove it. So best to avoid breeding it. You could use it in a black meat program. But it will never be able to be sold as a Cemani as it will always throw chicks with the brown/red.

Last edited:
DC what makes you think it's a boy? I'm assuming the comb size. For some reason my son loves this bird. I don't keep roosters I can't use and am not really a fan of dark meat. I know my kids would never eat it. Thanks for letting me know what it is and about BBR.

He looks a lot like my ayam cemani rooster Reginald. I'm not breeding him, but probably his brother Boss... unless I get a better roo in the next batch of hatchings.

Dc's sister is shipping me white bresse today! I'm excited and scared as I have never gotten shipped chicks before.

DC what makes you think it's a boy? I'm assuming the comb size. For some reason my son loves this bird. I don't keep roosters I can't use and am not really a fan of dark meat. I know my kids would never eat it. Thanks for letting me know what it is and about BBR.
Look at the thickness of the comb and the toes at that age. If it does turn out to be a boy, let me know. I could use it in my Smithies black meat bird project. I would be willing to swap it for a pullet from my line of Cemani. The Smithies are a black meat chicken project that I am giving away free eggs to anyone that wants them but one that is separate from my show line of Cemani. Since the focus is on the skin color, feather color is not that important. And I promise it would not be eaten. It would be used for more diversity to the Smithies gene pool.

Look at the thickness of the comb and the toes at that age.  If it does turn out to be a boy, let me know.  I could use it in my Smithies black meat bird project.  I would be willing to swap it for a pullet from my line of Cemani.  The Smithies are a black meat chicken project that I am giving away free eggs to anyone that wants them but one that is separate from my show line of Cemani.  Since the focus is on the skin color, feather color is not that important.  And I promise it would not be eaten.  It would be used for more diversity to the Smithies gene pool.
[/quote

Thanks DCCHICKEN, I'll let you know what it turns out to be. My boys would be happy to know it won't be eaten.

Both males and females display this dominant behavior. Females have a pecking order. Dominant females will show ruffled neck feathers & chest bump for their place in the flock. The most dominant females will roost right next to the Roo.

I have to say I love this breed.
The boys gain nice weight. Haven't butchered yet, but getting close.
And the girls are amazing layers! They're laying 5-6 eggs a week and , while I can't find my scale, they look to be large.
They can easily keep up with hatchery type breeds, in my opinion.
And I'm raising them in grow out pens with other breeds.
They are one of the less aggressive birds, but they don't take a lot of flack from others.

Back
Top Bottom