The American Bresse...

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
Who here raises them? Who here raises them using the "official" protocol? And who here has actually eaten them? Just for kicks...is there anyone who has eaten them raised "officially" and has also had them raised in the "regular" way, which to me means free ranging and supplementing with meat bird food.

@BarnyardChaos mentioned getting his new birds and I had just started looking into raising Bresse. I had no idea that they were raised differently until he mentioned it in another post.

The way they are raised leads me to wonder if chickens of other breeds would taste different as well if they were raised with that protocol...or do Bresse truly taste different regardless of the method in which they are raised.

We had some. We didn't put them in the dark but we did feed them milk because at the time we had a dairy farm and had extra milk.
We did not like them at all. All 5 of us thought they smelled and tasted unpleasant. I was sorely disappointed after spending all that money on them. I wanted a sustainable meat chicken.
We went back to Jumbo Cornish Cross.
Good luck to you though.

I also forgot to add that after butchering Jumbo Cornish Cross the Bresse seemed like Leghorns. It was really disappointing.

We had some. We didn't put them in the dark but we did feed them milk because at the time we had a dairy farm and had extra milk.
We did not like them at all. All 5 of us thought they smelled and tasted unpleasant. I was sorely disappointed after spending all that money on them. I wanted a sustainable meat chicken.
We went back to Jumbo Cornish Cross.
Good luck to you though.
Thank you for your honest review!

I've just started a small flock of Bresse, so have yet to find out. Never tasted one, raised either way. I'm not sure whether I'll try the French method of finishing or not. I've read that their specific genetics are what allows marbling in the meat, but the finishing method is what brings it out.

As for flavor, I think we Americans are accustomed to the flavor of Cornish Cross, being so prevalent in our markets and restaurants. And they are meaty birds. But I didn't like Cornish Cross mostly because I could not breed them myself and they make an awful mess. So I have high hopes for this adventure with Bresse; I'll give up some plumpness and accept a slightly different taste, if all else works out well. We shall see.

I've just started a small flock of Bresse, so have yet to find out. Never tasted one, raised either way. I'm not sure whether I'll try the French method of finishing or not. I've read that their specific genetics are what allows marbling in the meat, but the finishing method is what brings it out.

As for flavor, I think we Americans are accustomed to the flavor of Cornish Cross, being so prevalent in our markets and restaurants. And they are meaty birds. But I didn't like Cornish Cross mostly because I could not breed them myself and they make an awful mess. So I have high hopes for this adventure with Bresse; I'll give up some plumpness and accept a slightly different taste, if all else works out well. We shall see.
I agree. With so many people liking so many different foods its difficult to rate taste to someone else.
I really hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom