Head shakes on Bresse roosters

Lalachickens

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Hi all,

This spring we hatched Wyandotte and Bresse eggs. We noticed a few weeks ago that the Bresse roosters ONLY (not the Bresse hens or any of the Wyandottes) were doing this strange head shake. Our experience with chickens is limited to Wyandottes, who have very compact combs, and since the Bresse roosters have such gloriously large combs, I'm wondering if this is a deliberate head shake to scratch an itch, or something? At first, we thought it could possibly be wry neck, so we amped up the vitamins to treat that. Nothing has changed. Only the Bresse roosters seem to do this (and it seems to be all of them, not very often) - which is curious.

I'm attaching a video of one of them in action. This particular one has wry tail - we are aware.

Any insights?

Thanks!

Hi all,

This spring we hatched Wyandotte and Bresse eggs. We noticed a few weeks ago that the Bresse roosters ONLY (not the Bresse hens or any of the Wyandottes) were doing this strange head shake. Our experience with chickens is limited to Wyandottes, who have very compact combs, and since the Bresse roosters have such gloriously large combs, I'm wondering if this is a deliberate head shake to scratch an itch, or something? At first, we thought it could possibly be wry neck, so we amped up the vitamins to treat that. Nothing has changed. Only the Bresse roosters seem to do this (and it seems to be all of them, not very often) - which is curious.

I'm attaching a video of one of them in action. This particular one has wry tail - we are aware.

Any insights?

Thanks!

This is deliberate! My roo has very large wattles, no mite/lice/fleas or anything. It took me many months to know that it is just the flabby wattles that he is shaking. I do not know if it is just the sensation of having something there that sometimes bothers the roosters, or if they just like to flap their version of bat-wings. It is not an ear infection, it is not an itch (they will scratch it if it itches), it is not dangerous. The big boys just like to shake and flap their wattles. Maybe it makes them more appealing to the ladies? I do not know. But I find it funny when mine does it. Even funnier when he tries to eat something and ends up with a beakful of flabby wattle. 😂

Ya it does seem intentional. A couple of the Bresse hens with bigger combs have started doing it from time to time too! Pretty cute!

My Bresse cockerels just did it this morning. So strange. I thought it was because I gave them vitamin water. Thanks for posting about this!

Hi all,

Any insights?

Thanks!

Our Am.Bresse roosters shake their heads as well. With so many as curious as I am, it must be a curious tick they have.

Back
Top Bottom