Raising Meat Birds in the Burbs- A How To Guide

The_Desert_Druid

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2023
Sonoran Desert Arizona
Live in the Suburbs? Wish you could raise your own Chicken? This is the post for you. My husband and I have been raising Cornish X meaties now for 2 seasons. and we do it with not much space. This is a how to guide on what steps we took to get there.

I first wanted to raise my own chicken for several reasons.
-They are a perfect closed loop system and I wanted a way to manage the soil in a new garden plot
-I care...a lot.. about how my meat is raised and where it comes from. I have no problems with the local farmer (we have a whole nation to feed) But my religious beliefs really tie into taking care of the land so it can take care of my family. Animals included.
-Backyard chicken taste DELICIOUS omnom!

I currently live in south Arizona, Our local zoning regulations allow me to have chickens and bees on my property with restrictions. No Roosters and up to 26 birds. I am going to admit I do break the rooster rule when it comes to meat chickens (we butcher them before they even have time to start crowing). But defiantly check your local zoning policies when it comes to chickens. Not all states are the same.

When I first started this project I did a lot of research on Meat Chickens( Cornish X to be exact) . I have raised a flock of 7 layers for 5 years now and so felt confident in the basics of chicken raising. There are some big key differences between Cornish X Meat chickens and normal laying hens.

-Cornish are a true ground bird, They sleep on the ground and really should never be given a perch. They could get blisters or break their legs from jumping down.
-They love to eat. I mean LOVE. I haven't seen anything look at another object with the same manic passion a Cornish Cross looks at the food tray when I lower it down in the morning.
-They don't tolerate excessive temps the way a Layer bird can.
-Poop....pooooop...so much poop...did I mention Poop?
-They can be taught to free range like layers but mostly are raised either in a tractor or some sort of smaller confinement.

Okay now on to my setup......

I wanted something not very traditional for my Meat Birds. I have a 12x12 foot shed on the side of my house and a huge 11X17 foot empty space next to it( see pictures) Since I homestead on such a small parcel of land I try and double utilize space the best I can and figured I could create a 3x12 lean-to open air coop with access to the empty fenced in garden plot. Keep in mind I live in a warm climate and this hybrid setup worked well for both me and my chooks. They enjoy lounging in the sun and dust bathing in the garden plot and I enjoy the free fertilizer every fall before I put my plot to sleep for the winter. This is my first year with this rotation. Next season the meaties will be able to enjoy the left over garden from the spring/summer. It's enrichment for them and the left over garden goes back into the meat for us to consume.

First:
We hired a company to remove the concrete the garden plot would be on. We had them leave a 3X12 slab that we would be raising the chickens on. I prefer my chickens on concrete since it makes cleaning the coop a breeze and keeps the smell to almost nothing. I layer a bunch of shavings over the floor for them to sleep on.
IMG_20221228_162432.jpg

IMG_20221228_162432~2.jpg

IMG_20221228_162439~2.jpg

Next:
My husband started to build the frame. We used 2x4's for the main structure
PXL_20230122_225054170.jpg

PXL_20230126_224144611.jpg

PXL_20230126_220248120.jpg

Then:
We build the access door that leads to the garden for the chooks. I cant remember how big it is but I wanted it big enough to swing open for Turkeys and small enough to have an automated chicken door for the Cornish X. My husband also was able to install the tin roof on this coop in the picture as well.
PXL_20230215_200346675.jpg

PXL_20230215_200336621.jpg

Human access door in the front and paint in progress ( I went with Mint green and White)

PXL_20230215_200324570.jpg

PXL_20230215_200309433.jpg

He then put up the Hardware cloth. We used 1x1 inch cloth. If a bobcat or any other animal gets to my chickens with this then they deserved them.

Okay so now on to the fencing. We put up out main gate in the front and then my clever clever husband made a removable gate door to give me access to the back of the shed. its removable due it it being so large. I wanted it to not swing on a hinge and prevent me from using the area as more garden space. Now i can lift it out of the way and place it somewhere else. "why not go around the other side of the shed?" you ask.... I have my bees over on the other side :p #savethebees.
PXL_20230226_221625972.jpg

PXL_20230228_182041261.jpg

PXL_20230301_185844540.jpg

PXL_20230301_185747670.jpg

Finished product (if I could marry him again I would <3 )
PXL_20230226_221748529.jpg

So I do brood my meat chickens in this coop and never bring them in the house. When I get my Chickens it is the beginning of October and still in the 80's to 90's. I start to introduce them to the outside garden area around week 2 for a few hours a day then back into the coop. At 3 weeks or sometimes less I let them out in the mornings full time and lock them up at night. By the time they are 3-8 weeks old the temps swing into the 60-80's.
PXL_20230315_011931784.jpg

PXL_20230330_003515194.jpg

IMG_20230421_081713_01.jpg

I am not trying to glamourize raising meat chickens with my pretty coop. It is dirty work and I use all the poop from the coop in my gardens and the poop in the garden plots is broken down by the microbes I have in my soil. They only have one bad day and that's slaughter day. I spend a lot of time making sure they are as happy and loved as a meat chicken could be. There does come a time when they will not move around as much that's inevitable . But they do move from their food out to the sunny garden plot to just stretch their legs and enjoy life.....before going back to the food bowl and SCARFING down their food like Fat Bastard from Austin powers gnawing on that turkey leg.

-My layers churning the soil after the spot.has been vacant. They live in the orchard on the other side on my yard
image000000.jpg

Poop talk: Okay folks. Meat chicken poop STINKS!!!!! It can also be super runny and tan in color from the food the eat. I put my Meaties on a daily serving of Ferment feed. I found giving them fermented feed brings their poop back to a normal solid poop. It also stinks way less. I ferment it in 1 Quart mason jars. Half feed half water. I let it sit out for 3 days and refill the jars without cleaning them with more food and water.

Well... Good luck Folks!!! Hope you enjoyed the read

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_162432.jpg
    IMG_20221228_162432.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230226_221748529.jpg
    PXL_20230226_221748529.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 6
Great article! I agree and cannot evangelize enough about the benefits of fermented feed for any animals, much less chickens. I notice such a difference in shell density, yolk firmness and as you mentioned, structure and a significant reduction in stench... ;-) I have a "3 gal bucket method" for my layers, and do similar to my lil' chkn dinners when they are a week or so old. Thank you for sharing! The pictures along with the article and process are fantastic and very inspiring.

Great article! I agree and cannot evangelize enough about the benefits of fermented feed for any animals, much less chickens. I notice such a difference in shell density, yolk firmness and as you mentioned, structure and a significant reduction in stench... ;-) I have a "3 gal bucket method" for my layers, and do similar to my lil' chkn dinners when they are a week or so old. Thank you for sharing! The pictures along with the article and process are fantastic and very inspiring.
Thank you so much for reading!! I hope it can help someone out about being on the fence if they want to do it or not.
I feed ferment to my layers too and you are 💯 right about their egg shells. We can barely crack them open 😂.

Great post! I also raise meat birds in an urban/suburban area. Your setup is different than mine, but it's great to see different ways I can make use of my smaller space, so thank you.

Very inspiring. If I was on the fence about raising fowls. Your inspiration would have tipped the scale. Us (city dwellers) have to utilize what space we have, and you did a beautiful job. I believe you helped someone to take the leap. Great job. Most importantly, they look healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom