Bresse Chickens

Pics
I haven't tried a taste test yet as I've had a run of bad luck. My breeding group of White Bresse was decimated by a fox. I have 2 cockerels and one mature hen left and the hen now has IB. On top of that my coop just burned down. When it rains it pours. I have about 40 Bresse Chicks up in my brooders. They are about 3-4 weeks. I will be caponizing some of them and using the rest to replenich my breeding group.

I haven't tried a taste test yet as I've had a run of bad luck.  My breeding group of White Bresse was decimated by a fox.  I have 2 cockerels and one mature hen left and the hen now has IB.  On top of that my coop just burned down.    When it rains it pours.  I have about 40 Bresse Chicks up in my brooders.  They are about 3-4 weeks.  I will be caponizing some of them and using the rest to replenich my breeding group.

Wow. I'm very sorry you're having such a run. I hope your chicks grow quickly!

I'm amazed at how fast these chicks grow. These are a few of my chicks that aren't quite 8 wks old!

Yes they grow fast and they are big boys and girls. I'm thinking that I should have a taste of one in the next few months. As I said the boys will get caponized and put on pasture by April. The hens will be placed in breeding groups with my largest boys. I hope to have a few hundred on pasture by late April.

I haven't read the whole thread or done any research on Bresse chickens yet, but how much does it cost to purchase eggs or chicks for a small non-commercial hatchery? I get the impression these are prohibitively expensive birds to purchase even just a few at a time, but if not I'd like to try out a couple myself maybe.

I haven't tried a taste test yet as I've had a run of bad luck. My breeding group of White Bresse was decimated by a fox. I have 2 cockerels and one mature hen left and the hen now has IB. On top of that my coop just burned down. When it rains it pours. I have about 40 Bresse Chicks up in my brooders. They are about 3-4 weeks. I will be caponizing some of them and using the rest to replenich my breeding group.
Sounds like you have the same kind of luck that I do.

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

Anyone know where I can get these in Thailand or if fertile eggs would survive being shipped over?

Back
Top Bottom