Bresse Crossed wit Cuckoo Lemon Orpington...........

Picked up chicks from post office, I think the ones with longer feathers are girls.......:wee

One of the male Bresse cockerels had a black dot on it when it was hatched and grew up with a little black bleeding through. The owner of the farm said,

"During my 2018 breeding season I have been working with new stock from Greenfire farms. I only breed white Bresse but interestingly I managed to get a trio of grey silver penciled out of them. This color is only currently raised in Europe but now I have them via dumb luck. Like I said I only have a trio but want to see if I should expand. So just for my information how much interest is there in this new color if made available? " https://www.facebook.com/Bresse-683644685089899/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

View attachment 2481219View attachment 2481221View attachment 2481222
You can’t feather sex those.

I found a stiff dead chick tonight. I saw a little blood by its ear, I wonder what happen. I heard it chirping or crying, but did not check up on him until a little latter. I felt like something was wrong, so I went outside to check my brooder and it was dead. I ordered them to be vaccinated and I am feeding medicated chick starter. Not sure what to make of it. The rest running around, and look healthy.

I found a stiff dead chick tonight. I saw a little blood by its ear, I wonder what happen. I heard it chirping or crying, but did not check up on him until a little latter. I felt like something was wrong, so I went outside to check my brooder and it was dead. I ordered them to be vaccinated and I am feeding medicated chick starter. Not sure what to make of it. The rest running around, and look healthy.
So sorry to hear this☹️
Maybe an unseen injury happened under shipping?

So sorry to hear this☹
Maybe an unseen injury happened under shipping?
I think it was the merek vaccine.........he probably couldn't build up a resistance. His legs were kind of stretched out and toes were curled. I am kind of sad because it was one of the bigger ones. The ones that hatch from bigger eggs seem a little bigger at maturity.

Based on my experience with Bresse hatching chicks, they are very scared of me, unlike the ones I hatched before. They are very fast and hyper. I will need to spend some time with them after the 4 day quarantine is up for the vaccine. I hope I can tame them. :wee

Mean while the two Cuckoo Lemon Orpington hens that I was planning on breeding with my two Bresse cockerel are keeping them from eating before them. All the hens beat up on them, I am afraid they will develop a complex?

Last edited:
Finally, my Bresse cockerels started crowing today. I'll pick up some Breeder Conditioner (Pigeon Grain mix). The last time I fed this to my previous cockrels their hormone went crazy and one of them over threw the pecking order. I think it was the raw sun flowerer seeds in the mix that changed their behavior.

Today was the first time I heard my cockerels crow, and latter in the day, both of them tried to jump on sweetie, who has a habit of squatting when ever she is pecked. But things didn't go as the hooligans planned. I saw her fighting back, and she chased them away. They are still on the bottom of the pecking order, sweetie is right above them. I have a total of seven hens and 2 cockerels sharing the same coop. It was their first attempt to move up the ladder.

Last edited:
This was the first morning that I heard my Bresse cockerel constantly crowing. He has a low sounding crow, its not high pitched like some other breeds that I have raised. I have heard Australorps, Orpingtons, Jersey Giants and Rhode Island whites crow. The Bresse cockerel sounds the best in my opinion. I put a 1 inch no crow Velcro collar on Puka Head this morning. Crooked Toe didn't start crowing yet, he is 2 weeks younger. They have Indian names............... :wee

The four surviving chicks are happy and energetic, today was the first day I let them play outside.

DSCN0207.JPG
DSCN0202.JPG

Last edited:
Just curious....why.... you would want this cross?
Are you growing meat birds or just playing with genetics?
Both, I will learn a lot of things with this cross.
Color of feather %
Color of leg %
Body type %
Weight difference in body type
Growth or vigor
Egg comparison

Back
Top Bottom