Bresse Farm Florida

I think he only breeds Bresse chickens from the two imported lines from Greenfire farms. Its not uncommon to get throw backs, the white bresse was developed through selective breeding.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/bresse-chicken-breed-profile/#:~:text=The gray, Bresse de Bourg, appears to be,coloring suffered, further crossings with Campine were made.

Now see, that's some useful information. He basically just told me "sucks to be you", lol...I had no idea at the time how or why I would have ended up with birds like that (other than a sneaky rooster). :idunno

And then there's the meat. Tough and stringy doesn't even begin to describe it. I know how they're raised in France, but I live in the states.
They process the roosters at 4 months and hens at 5 months in France. My roosters reach 5 lbs dressed at 4 months. I roasted one and stewed another.
DSCN0261.JPG

I bought some eggs from Frank on ebay, I was impressed with the bloodline I got. I crossed them with Black Australorps, Orpingtons and Black Jersey Giants and all of my chicks came out white with blue legs.
interested in how the crosses are turning out......did you cross the bresse rooster over the other hens...or vice versa? been trying to find out if bress are "gold, or silver" (can'r imagin they have the barred trait

I bought some eggs from Frank on ebay, I was impressed with the bloodline I got. I crossed them with Black Australorps, Orpingtons and Black Jersey Giants and all of my chicks came out white with blue legs.
did you use the bresse roo x other hens, or vice versa? trying to find info if bresse have the silver factor or not.

did you use the bresse roo x other hens, or vice versa? trying to find info if bresse have the silver factor or not.
I used a crazy male Bresse from another vendor on Ebay. All the chicks were white ,but some have a few black feathers. All the chicks from this rooster had blue legs.

I used another male from Bresse farm (Frank's line) and crossed him with a Black Australorp. One chick came out white and one chick came out black and both of them had black legs. This rooster had extreme crooked toe when he was born, but he had a nice body.. His face and beak was slightly black, and he had a small black dot when he was born, so I wanted to see if I could get a pencil color throw back with the black Australorp, but didn't happen. Both chicks had straight toes and they turned out females. They are slightly bigger than my crazy rooster and Cuckkoo Lemon Orpington cross. I had one male and 3 females from this cross. All the chicks came out pure white, with lighter blue color legs. I was originally planning on crossing chicks from these two pairing to see if there would be any hybrid vigor. However, I changed my mind after I saw how fast and heavy Jumbo Cornish crosses grow. I am more interested in breeding the Cornish Crosses together to see what kind of chicks hatch.

Jumbo Cornish Crosses are bred to perfection and they kind of remind me of dinosaurs.

Last edited:
thanks. just got a few bresse to start with, but would be nice to use for hybrids in the future if possible. seems like I came across another person who had a crooked issue with their bresse.

thanks. just got a few bresse to start with, but would be nice to use for hybrids in the future if possible. seems like I came across another person who had a crooked issue with their bresse.
The crooked toe could have been caused by shipping hatching eggs. It could also be caused by what type of feed Frank was using. I think its related to vitamins, because his off spring has straight toes.

I'm going to butcher all the Bresse mutts and only keep a trio of pure bred ones. I have one Bresse rooster and two hens, but one of the hens has yellow legs. I asked the farm I got them from if they were pure bred and they said they got their line from Green fire Farm and did not cross them with anything.
Anyway, its not a big thing with a selective breeding program. I will also use my Bresse rooster to seed my Barbezuiex hens. I like the unique wild game taste of the Barbeziuex chicken.

Back
Top Bottom