Bresse Farm Florida

Dinoroar

Crowing
Jul 11, 2020
I am where I am
Just wanted to post that I recently purchased bresse hatching eggs from Bresse Farm in Florida (not Bresse farms in MS)
http://www.bressefarm.com/

They sell under mrfrank7 on eBay & I believe they’re on Facebook too.

The eggs were well packed in foam egg shipper. All the communications and enclosed material were positive and helpful (should be a given but man there are some vitriolic egg sellers out there).
I ordered a dozen eggs and received 13. None were cracked but all had some degree of saddled air cells.

I pulled 5 midway that hadn’t developed. 7 of the remaining 8 hatched and so far at 6 weeks they’re health chicks with no problems so far. I can’t say yet how the birds will turn out but can highly recommend the sellers customer service.

F7A78222-9FA4-4BB0-AAC6-6E53552C0DB3.jpeg
B3E5B023-7E22-4991-B99B-FC57FCBBF82B.jpeg

I love the flavor of the White Bresse, but they are little noisy than I would like. Hopefully, I can produce the cross that growth little faster, quieter, and taste as good as the White Bresse.

Just wanted to post that I recently purchased bresse hatching eggs from Bresse Farm in Florida (not Bresse farms in MS)
http://www.bressefarm.com/

They sell under mrfrank7 on eBay & I believe they’re on Facebook too.

The eggs were well packed in foam egg shipper. All the communications and enclosed material were positive and helpful (should be a given but man there are some vitriolic egg sellers out there).
I ordered a dozen eggs and received 13. None were cracked but all had some degree of saddled air cells.

I pulled 5 midway that hadn’t developed. 7 of the remaining 8 hatched and so far at 6 weeks they’re health chicks with no problems so far. I can’t say yet how the birds will turn out but can highly recommend the sellers customer service.

View attachment 2670792View attachment 2670793
I bought some eggs from Frank on ebay, I was impressed with the bloodline I got. I crossed them with Black Australorps, Orpingtons and Black Jersey Giants and all of my chicks came out white with blue legs.

That’s good to hear the roos get along. I have a grown Bresse roo from a different source and I really like his personality. I’ve been crossing my fingers these new ones would be good mannered too.

I have 3 (a reverse trio) from a different bloodline, but they're like puppies. So friendly to each other and people. My pullet is the friendliest of the big group, including 3 silkies

Oh my goodness! I can finally talk to people who know about Bresse. Yay!!

Ok, so I've raised two separate flocks of Bresse birds for meat. Both times, the birds were CRAZY! This last batch literally picked themselves bloody until they were 12 weeks old. 😕🙄

I've tried everything imaginable to raise these birds without all the drama. And to be completely honest, I'm done trying. Maybe it's the breeder. (A girl that sells on eBay who lives 5 minutes from me.) Maybe it's the way we raise them. (On grass and fermented food.) Or maybe it's just the breed. Whatever the case, we're switching to Red Rangers next time and not looking back.

These birds had cocci repeatedly, even after treatment. They were ballistic if I went anywhere near them.

We just processed 11 of them two days ago. They were very small and had very little fat on them. We processed them way earlier than last year's batch so I hope they taste better!

Oddly enough, I still have a rooster who I raised last year in my flock, along with 2 of his half sisters. Both of my laying Bresse hens have gone broody and hatched eggs this year but both lost chicks because they were insane! Literally, I've never had worse broody hens. And they've both tried to go broody again! 🙄

My rooster is big and beautiful but he's just as crazy. He is over eager with the girls and has ruined their feathers. Thankfully he's afraid of me but I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of him for a different breed.

20210603_160341.jpg

And then there's the meat. Tough and stringy doesn't even begin to describe it. I know how they're raised in France, but I live in the states. And my husband refuses to keep any animal in a crate (except for broody jail).

I will say the rooster throws some serious genes as all of my hatched chicks look almost completely like a Bresse. Sadly though, all of his chicks act crazy like the other Bresse. And they're not full blooded Bresse chicks.

Sorry for the long rant. I've been wanting to talk to others about this for a while.

Here's a picture of the last two boys waiting for processing. They were younger and kept with the flock so they haven't grown as much. These were from my barnyard mix of birds and my Bresse rooster.

20210603_163211.jpg

My rooster is big and beautiful but he's just as crazy.
I had to butcher my dominant rooster and I replaced him with a younger one from a different farm. The younger one has a better personality, he doesn't challenge me like the other one. The other one was into sneak attack.

A 2 month old rooster just bit my hand today when I went to fill up his food trough. I hit his head, so he didn't get away with it. I think he inherited the psychopath gene from his crazy father.

I raised bresse roosters from 3 different farms and their character were all different. The best rooster was from Bresse farm from Florida. http://bressefarm.com/

Last edited:
I didn't have a very good experience with mrfrank7, communication wise. I had a bad hatch, which was an incubator problem (obviously that wasn't on him), but one of the only two that hatched had an odd comb (a carnation comb), and the other wasn't white, but honestly that wasn't the biggest deal for me. I tried to ask him if there was even the remotest possibility of mixing, cause I know things happen and I was very clear that I just wanted to know cause of the odd comb. I had already left him positive feedback, and I hadn't opened any kind of case, but he was downright rude to me. I'm hoping that Sandhill Preservation doesn't run out of Bresse...I have an order in for 10 in the Fall.

Back
Top Bottom