picanins

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Myakka, FL
I have received a very squashed box of hatching eggs yesterday - due to the amazing job of internal packing by the breeder no eggs were broken - with scrambled eggs (a bit of an exaggeration). All but 3 (which have a partial/saddle attachment) air cells are completely detached. I let the eggs sit upright for 24 hours on the counter and put them in the Bator this morning without the turner. My incubator style has the eggs lay on their side whilst the turner rolls them. Here are my questions after reading and watching every boring you tube video I could find :

1. I have placed them in egg cartons in the incubator and am not planning on moving them AT ALL for the first 3 days - is this advised?

2. I plan on keeping them upright without an automatic turner for the full duration of incubation turning only once prepay from day 3 to around day 15/16 then not turning again. Thoughts?

3. I tend to lean towards dry hatching (I'm in South Florida where our humidity levels are pretty high) but am planning to increase humidity to about 60% (currently 35%) around day 19/20. Again, thoughts?

If you have had success hatching eggs with detached air cells I would love ANNNNY advice

Thank you

PS - Incubator is Harris Farms Nurture Right 360

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 4
I have received a very squashed box of hatching eggs yesterday - due to the amazing job of internal packing by the breeder no eggs were broken - with scrambled eggs (a bit of an exaggeration). All but 3 (which have a partial/saddle attachment) air cells are completely detached. I let the eggs sit upright for 24 hours on the counter and put them in the Bator this morning without the turner. My incubator style has the eggs lay on their side whilst the turner rolls them. Here are my questions after reading and watching every boring you tube video I could find :

1. I have placed them in egg cartons in the incubator and am not planning on moving them AT ALL for the first 3 days - is this advised?

2. I plan on keeping them upright without an automatic turner for the full duration of incubation turning only once prepay from day 3 to around day 15/16 then not turning again. Thoughts?

3. I tend to lean towards dry hatching (I'm in South Florida where our humidity levels are pretty high) but am planning to increase humidity to about 60% (currently 35%) around day 19/20. Again, thoughts?

If you have had success hatching eggs with detached air cells I would love ANNNNY advice

Thank you

PS - Incubator is Harris Farms Nurture Right 360
I frequently hatch shipped eggs and detached air cells are very common.
I too do the dry hatch method. I have humidity around 30% and then lock down to 45-50%.
I don’t turn my eggs for the first 4 days and keep them in the egg carton like you have, and then after depending on how detached they were I will either, turn by hand 3 times per day 1/2 a rotation each time, or let the automatic egg turning device take over.
If you have air cells that move from one end to the other, it’s likely scrambled and won’t develop.

I frequently hatch shipped eggs and detached air cells are very common.
I too do the dry hatch method. I have humidity around 30% and then lock down to 45-50%.
I don’t turn my eggs for the first 4 days and keep them in the egg carton like you have, and then after depending on how detached they were I will either, turn by hand 3 times per day 1/2 a rotation each time, or let the automatic egg turning device take over.
If you have air cells that move from one end to the other, it’s likely scrambled and won’t develop.
I was extremely gentle when candling so did not turn the eggs upside down but air cells looked completely detached on a few of them. We will see. Day 2 over here. I will candle at day 4 to check what things look like but at this point I’m thinking of a once or twice a day rotation after that after day 15 I think I will stop movement All together. They were in the USPS system for a week and the box was very damaged. If I get any out of this hatch I will be happy.

I have had bad luck here lately because our mail system is being “updated “ so all eggs have been extra shook up! Maybe just wait until day 7 to candle. That way you can be sure if you don’t see anything.
I personally never discard an egg until day 10. I have had eggs I candled at day 7 thinking they weren’t developing only to see the development at day 10.
But I think it’s recommended to rotate minimum of 3 times per day.

Back
Top Bottom