Incubating eggs with large air cells?

Slothinc

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Hello all! I set some eggs this morning that were shipped to me. I had them sitting at room temp for over 24 hours before setting. I candled before setting them and several have very large air cells. And they are irregular shaped.

There are 7 eggs, and one is a tiny egg so I already don’t think that one will hatch. But 3-4 of the other eggs have the very large air cells. Is this caused by the eggs being old? I know the weird shape can be due to the shipping. I don’t believe that they were detached, just much larger than I have seen, so I thought that was very strange. A little disappointed to put them in the incubator, as I really don’t think there is any hope for any of them after seeing how large the air cells are. A couple have smaller, rounded air cells (still larger than a fresh egg, probably the size of a nickel-quarter) so maybe there is a chance but I don’t know! Has anyone else incubated eggs with large airsacs and been successful? Thanks!

Hello all! I set some eggs this morning that were shipped to me. I had them sitting at room temp for over 24 hours before setting. I candled before setting them and several have very large air cells. And they are irregular shaped.

There are 7 eggs, and one is a tiny egg so I already don’t think that one will hatch. But 3-4 of the other eggs have the very large air cells. Is this caused by the eggs being old? I know the weird shape can be due to the shipping. I don’t believe that they were detached, just much larger than I have seen, so I thought that was very strange. A little disappointed to put them in the incubator, as I really don’t think there is any hope for any of them after seeing how large the air cells are. A couple have smaller, rounded air cells (still larger than a fresh egg, probably the size of a nickel-quarter) so maybe there is a chance but I don’t know! Has anyone else incubated eggs with large airsacs and been successful? Thanks!
I know sometimes they are off a little and not sure why. I know you put them in there and it'll be interesting at Day 7 or so when you candle them next if they all seem to be closer in size to one another.

@Debbie292d I actually did a super quick candle on day 4 for these eggs and was thrilled to see development in at least 4 of the 7 eggs. So I’m very pleased. Also when I contacted the breeder just to ask, she was so sweet and helpful and giving me tips for a good hatch (all things I was doing like keeping them upright etc.) When I candle them again I will trace the air cells and see how they are looking. The good thing is that none of them looked detached when I candled before setting, they just looked weird!

@Debbie292d just as an update, I candled last night and ALL 7 eggs are developing, and look strong! I’m shocked and so pleased! I guess the air cells didn’t hinder any of them from starting up. Can’t wait to see how they do the rest of the time!

:celebrate:wee:bow:clap:yesss:

Can you tell I'm excited for you? :)
Lol! Thank you! Honestly I was just shocked because to get 100% growth on eggs shipped from Florida seems crazy. Though somehow these were the fastest shipped eggs I got all season. She shipped them on a Saturday and they arrived Monday morning 🤔 So I’m no longer opposed to shipping on saturdays 😂

Lol! Thank you! Honestly I was just shocked because to get 100% growth on eggs shipped from Florida seems crazy. Though somehow these were the fastest shipped eggs I got all season. She shipped them on a Saturday and they arrived Monday morning 🤔 So I’m no longer opposed to shipping on saturdays 😂
That's practically overnight considering USPS is shut down for the most part on Sunday. How did she ship them, like Priority Express or something?

That's practically overnight considering USPS is shut down for the most part on Sunday. How did she ship them, like Priority Express or something?
I know!!! Nope, it was regular priority mail, and she dropped them off Sat afternoon/evening at her post office. The expected delivery day was Wednesday so imagine my surprise when they arrived Monday!

Back
Top Bottom