Bresse in 4H shows?

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I've had several 4H kids contact me for birds to show at our county fair. While I don't have many honestly that are APA colors for them to choose from, I do have some Bresse babies. Would they be able to show them in the meat bird or dual purpose categories?? I don't know a thing about showing poultry .... learning as we go.

Depends. Each county/state have different categories. In mine, the kids can show meat chickens, might specify Cornish-I’m not sure as we have not shown meat. But, they have egg layer categories, so can show hybrids, or breeds, they are categorized by egg color and age. Then, they can show a breed- again categories (comb type, feathered legs, and other), but they must be an APA recognized breed.

So, call your county extension office, or the 4-H office (they are often same building) bc they will easily give you guidance.

Depends. Each county/state have different categories. In mine, the kids can show meat chickens, might specify Cornish-I’m not sure as we have not shown meat. But, they have egg layer categories, so can show hybrids, or breeds, they are categorized by egg color and age. Then, they can show a breed- again categories (comb type, feathered legs, and other), but they must be an APA recognized breed.

So, call your county extension office, or the 4-H office (they are often same building) bc they will easily give you guidance.
Thanks ... I've talked with both the superintendent and the extension agent here and neither really know much about anything other than the ordinary breeds. I'll just advise the kid in particular to raise a few cornish for the market sale and show the apa breeds that I have :). Appreciate it ... all new to me!

Thanks ... I've talked with both the superintendent and the extension agent here and neither really know much about anything other than the ordinary breeds. I'll just advise the kid in particular to raise a few cornish for the market sale and show the apa breeds that I have :). Appreciate it ... all new to me!

https://co4h.colostate.edu/program-areas/animals/

Here’s a link that might help.

Just the other day I was thinking I'd like to show a Bresse. I can't think of a reason why one couldn't, the only way to get into the SOP is to be bred and shown. And I understand they're rare? I love seeing rare birds at show.

Just the other day I was thinking I'd like to show a Bresse. I can't think of a reason why one couldn't, the only way to get into the SOP is to be bred and shown. And I understand they're rare? I love seeing rare birds at show.
I can't imagine why not, now that I know the local 4H show is not an APA show ... for a dual purpose bird that the kids could show and sell at auction, the extension agent said it would be fine here in our small county fair. They have to weigh 5 lbs at fairtime, and I believe that's workable.

Follow up just because .... our local fair is not an apa show, so the kids can show dp/layer breeds that are not APA colors. So they can show my splashes and lavenders that they wanted. Yay.

Thats good.

FWIW, our 4H is also not an APA show, however, during the judging for the Breed categories - where one bird is entered as a male or female (separate categories) to be judged within that category. They do use APA standards. I'm not sure what they would do for a non APA color. But the purpose of 4 H is for learning, and it is not a sanctioned show, that would get points towards anything, like you would for participating in actual APA shows. So, my kid entered an "incorrect" bird in a particular category a few years ago - cant remember the specifics - because it was all new to us and we just didn't know any better. However, while she could not win in that category, the judge still talked about the bird entered and gave pertinent info to the kid in a good and educational way. This is typically what is done by the judges.

Back
Top Bottom