Brevard County FL Ordinance change

Yes, thank you for the update! I'm glad we got the more favorable outcome for today's meeting. I'm really, really hoping and praying this passes and I'm so grateful that The Chicken Whisperer was there to help wrap things up. It'll be a tough wait until July. :)

Edit: Argh, that Nelson guy reluctant because of HOAs...didn't he listen to what was said how this shouldn't impede on HOAs/cities/etc? Guess we can see who HE represents...

Ah, well...give them time to go over the material and hopefully we get a favorable outcome.

Last edited:
My understanding is a majority vote also. We came close to getting that vote today thanks to Commisioner Infantini moving to put our proposal to a vote but we didn't get a second for doing so. Not getting a second backer for the motion before obtaining a Staff Report scuttled the immediate relief we were hoping for however this was the most likely outcome to begin with.

I thought it was majority needed to pass. I could be mistaken, but that was the impression I had.

All,

I have the petition mostly functional again - there were some security updates that caused the issue and I am going to try and have a fully functonal version up before the weekend.

Thank you for your support!

-Toby

You can watch the april 3rd meeting on the brevard county florida website under commisioner meetings. On the page for the april 3 meeting the discussion is near the end of the list that appears under the video box. Wonderful and brave speakers, and the chicken whisperer was charming.

The district 2 commissioner is 100% closed minded about increasing chicken numbers, while the others seemed either supportive or open to the idea. district 2 commissioner said outright he would not change his mind, and thinks chickens are farm animals, stressing "farm" with a note of disgust to his voice. While I dont believe he will change his mind even with pressure from the voting public, I do think the other commissioners should know we think his view is unacceptable. The speakers at the meeting clearly stated they were addressing unincorporated brevard, less those communities under deed restriction or homeowner association rules. Dist 2 guy says he is concerned because few of the pricey properties in his district fall under that additional protection, and he is clearly looking out for the property values of wealthy constituents rather than the majority of people who would benefit from a small flock or even those who might really need the source of food they can provide. "Waterfront" property kept slipping into his comments, yet waterfront properties are not the majority of properties even on the barrier islands. I so dislike elitists... Folks, you have got to vote him off the island (ha ha)!

Anyway, brevard county fl folks need to get busy on the phones and mail to commissioners for your districts, and for those who live in district 2, I personally would send an email to all the other commissioners stating your own commissioner does not reflect the views of people in his district. I already wrote a follow up letter to my commissioner. It does not have to be a unanimous vote...

Finally, dist 2 guy said he gets complaints about chickens now, and Im trying to find out if that is true. He may be getting complaints about ducks, peacocks, and parrots, which are all more problematic than chicken hens, especially on the barrier islands where they are wild and breeding in neighborhoods.

Anyway, great job to the folks who proposed the change, worked the petitions, arranged speaker at the meeting and organized support and I thank you for getting this going!

Thank you everyone!!

Can someone please point me to the list of contact information and where each district is? I am not even sure who my rep is ;)

Thanks!

You can watch the april 3rd meeting on the brevard county florida website under commisioner meetings. On the page for the april 3 meeting the discussion is near the end of the list that appears under the video box. Wonderful and brave speakers, and the chicken whisperer was charming.
The district 2 commissioner is 100% closed minded about increasing chicken numbers, while the others seemed either supportive or open to the idea. district 2 commissioner said outright he would not change his mind, and thinks chickens are farm animals, stressing "farm" with a note of disgust to his voice. While I dont believe he will change his mind even with pressure from the voting public, I do think the other commissioners should know we think his view is unacceptable. The speakers at the meeting clearly stated they were addressing unincorporated brevard, less those communities under deed restriction or homeowner association rules. Dist 2 guy says he is concerned because few of the pricey properties in his district fall under that additional protection, and he is clearly looking out for the property values of wealthy constituents rather than the majority of people who would benefit from a small flock or even those who might really need the source of food they can provide. "Waterfront" property kept slipping into his comments, yet waterfront properties are not the majority of properties even on the barrier islands. I so dislike elitists... Folks, you have got to vote him off the island (ha ha)!
Anyway, brevard county fl folks need to get busy on the phones and mail to commissioners for your districts, and for those who live in district 2, I personally would send an email to all the other commissioners stating your own commissioner does not reflect the views of people in his district. I already wrote a follow up letter to my commissioner. It does not have to be a unanimous vote...
Finally, dist 2 guy said he gets complaints about chickens now, and Im trying to find out if that is true. He may be getting complaints about ducks, peacocks, and parrots, which are all more problematic than chicken hens, especially on the barrier islands where they are wild and breeding in neighborhoods.
Anyway, great job to the folks who proposed the change, worked the petitions, arranged speaker at the meeting and organized support and I thank you for getting this going!

I was wondering what the outcome was for the ordinance change. I called Rocklege Code Enforcement today and they said "No Chickens".

Back
Top Bottom