Bribing Neighbors

That's why I'm so grateful for the neighbors I have. They got chickens first, which includes 2 roosters (we don't have ANY chicken laws in my area) and they both crow. They are free range and their crowing starts outside of my room
gig.gif
They were worried about the boys bothering us until they saw us feeding them. Now we all share the chickens. They even stayed in my coop for a while before I moved my babies in there. Now they're kinda mad at me for locking them out.

Quote:
I say get a rooster anyway, if they complain; thats their problem, they are just plain city slickers!
wink.png
smile.png

This city slicker has some loud hens and my neighbors don't complain, in fact they like them and the noises they make.

Go to a show of any kind and stop in the chicken barn early in the morning. Listen to the birds crow. Pick one you think won't carry too far. Either offer to buy that bird, or get one of the same breed.
All my birds are the same breed but have different crows. When I had 6 roosters, I could tell them all apart by sound. Not all of a breed will crow the way you hear that particular one, but it's a good way to judge the crows.
I have only Ameraucanas. Some were loud, some perfect "cockadoodledoos" some sound like they need a throat lozenger.

Last edited:
If the rooster doesn't work out, you may want to consider ducks if you are allowed to have them Muscovy Ducks don't make any noise and lay wonderful eggs.

I think you'll be fine with your roo. I live in a neighborhood that is quite compact but my neighbors have been awesome! Granted, I don't have a roo, but my girls are quite loud throughout the day. One neighbor gives me all her fruit, bread and green leftovers and I give her eggs. I give extra eggs to my neighbors and in return I've even gotten fresh muffins from the eggs I gave them! It's been so great having the chickens and I think people really like it!

Good luck and enjoy your flock!
Janet

We had this same issue, granted we only really have two neighbors that could complain. One of which lets their dog go to the bathroom in our yard so their vote doesn't count in my mind. And well we have two roosters first off, one of which is a meat bird who we have let live too long and began crowing. His crow is pathetically funny, almost looking like it pains him to crow. Our neighbor recently asked what that sounds was, he knew it was one of the roosters but he thought we were hurting him...I was like no he just has difficulty. So we found out he doesn't have an issue, they just have a good laugh at the expense of that poor rooster, but everyone does anyway. Just talk to them, usually neighbors are reasonable.

Quote:
My bantam cochin crows ALL DAY LONG and he has the loudest crow of my lot!
lau.gif
He literally has to get on tiptoe and stretch up up and away to get it out, but boy is he loud! He stands on my windowsill and crows if I try to sleep in, the stinker! Wants his scratch and BOSS on HIS terms!

Back
Top Bottom