bright kelly green droppings?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiebaby, Apr 19, 2009.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Just when you think you've seen it all - somebody in my chicken run is making poops that are bright, and I mean bright kelly green. Yikes!

Never seen this before, and suddenly there are three large poops within past few hours. I've got a kid sitting out in the run right now to figure out who the chicken in question is. Here's what I can tell you:

The sick one is definitely female, definitely btw 1-3 years of age (my chicks are completely separate). No new birds/quarantine issues at all. No new food or anything else different. Poop has no unusual odor or anything.

Out of the blue. Or shoud I say BRIGHT GREEN!?

Looking for advice: I'm thinking yogurt for everyone and when I find out who it is who has this problem, I'll separate them and then, if I have to, Neomycin for just that bird?

I have never used antibiotics on them before, and do not wish to if I don't need to.

Ideas? Advice?

Thanks so much!

2. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    update: found the girl, and hoping she's the only one:

NH Red, kid thinks she's George Weasley by name.

She's isolated in a crate now, on straw, with water and pellets, and I'm about to make her a scrambled egg on the premise that intestinal bugs sap their protein.

Poop was not only birght, bright, mindblowing poison green, but came out as liquid. Ugh! Something nasty and bacterial?

Advice?

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
  4. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Nope. We are talking really, truly kelly green and liquid. Looks like the color of a pool table. Ugh!

MWDH1, I couldnt get that link to work. Would you mind posting it again? Thanks so much.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. mwdh1

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
  6. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Highly informative poop pictures - thank you! But still nothing like this bright green liquidy poop. Ugh!

7. mwdh1

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    hopefully someone with more experience can step in and help, I don't have a clue

8. mwdh1

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    bump

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    do you have a pic by chance?

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Have they been given any dark greens lately (grass, turnips, etc)? What about that green chick booster gel?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by