Bright red, bare bottom, why is that?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suja, Jul 27, 2010.

1. suja

suja New Egg

Sep 26, 2009
    2 of my Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock hens have a bare bottom, that's bright red, just where the hairy, fluffy feathers used to be. It looks like baboon rear! they're fine and healthy and lay well. I've thought of feather picking or mite but it doesn't heal at all. One of them also has a spot just in front of her tail on her back. What can this be?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    It could be picking your right :) You might have to wait until they molt if they get continually picked on. I would do a real thin layer of petroleum jelly on them to help heal and promote feather growth [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It would be either parasites (mites or lice) or molting, or another chicken pecking them........I would catch them and really look down deep into their feathers, near the skin......if you don't see anything crawling around, then it might be molting, or if you have time, really take about 20 minutes to observe them...you might find out you've got a bully hen or rooster who is pulling them out!

Good luck!

Sharon

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The spot on top of the tail is probably from being bred. Around the vent, my guess is mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by