Bright Red Rash on my Naked Neck

Suskm

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Fort Valley GA

Hi Folks...I need some advice for my Naked Neck Punky. She has this rash from her neck to her breast and if I could see it better, her whole body is probably covered with it. It looks super inflamed. Any suggestions as to what this might be and how I can treat it. My other two girls skin is normal and not showing anything like this.

Looks to be caused by the cold IMO.
My NNs vary in colour and get splotchy when they are irritated. It does look like she has a bit of dry skin. Maybe winburn?

I think she's fine. Maybe someone else will help you out.

Okay folks it's a month later...while she appears to be fine, her skin is still red, very dry and now it appears that some of her down feathers have fallen out.It's funny at times I see her and her skin is normal in appearance. It's like a major blush! She's only 7 months old so I don't think it's a molting issue. She is partially naked under her left wing and near the top of her rump. Her wings tail are okay. She doesn't have mites or anything like that. Any suggestions? She is behaving normally although maybe she's lost some weight now that I think of it.

Last edited:
Some mites are microscopic, so I would not discount them. I would suggest bringing her inside and giving her a bath with dog flea/tick shampoo. Also treat with ivermectin pour-on after the bath. Keep her inside for a couple of days to keep a close eye on her. What are you feeding her? Needs to be fairly high protein, and she needs oils added to her diet (sunflower or safflower or flax seeds or oil). Canned mackerel would add both oil and protein.

I feed my ten hens Penpals Egg Maker Complete. It has 16% protein in it's makeup. So what feed has a higher protein? We feed the girls pecans two times a week. Maybe I should try the Penpals Egg Maker Balancer. It has more protein in it. I will give her a bath with the flea shampoo. Hopefully this will help. Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Did you ever get this resolved? My turken looks like yours, just started last week. (hot out, thought it was sunburn at first) Just wormed everyone to see if its internal, Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom