brilliant chickens

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
I have a question about free-ranging my chickens. I've been letting them out of the coop each morning into their fenced pen, letting them learn where they live, etc. I shut them up each night once they all go in to bed. Over the weekend I tried opening the pen to let them start really free-ranging, and they quickly ran out into the great big world. I watched them for a few minutes, and they were puttering around happily, then they spotted the horses and wanted to go back home. Unfortunately, they couldn't seem to find the opening in the fence to get back in the pen, and just kept trying to run through the fence. Are they going to figure this out, or what? Is there anything I need to do to help them, like paint a target on the gate or something :) ?

Quote:
I doubt they'll learn. The front panels of our yard fence has small holes that the chickens can't get thru. The side fence has larger holes, that they can get thru for now, while they're still small. They wander out thru the side fence, wander into the front yard, and then spend endless amounts of time trying to get back in thru the front fence. I usually wind up feeling sorry for them and open the gate.
roll.png

My chickens are very confused by the new wire fencing around the veggie garden. It seems like they think if they put their heads though another opening, THAT one might fit.

roll.png
dumb clucks

Maybe paint the opening frame red. My opening is red and the girls have never run into that problem yet! But they make up for their dumbness in other ways....that's for sure.

Mine find the gate back into their pen very nicely if they are calm but if something scares them they might run without thinking clearly.But I really was suprised how well they all figured out how to go back in.

Back
Top Bottom