Bring in the hen!!!

Pinenot

Songster
12 Years
Sep 11, 2007
Today I brought my beautiful bantam porcelain hen in and gave her a big time bath to get all clean from being in the barn. This hen has earned her keep at my home. She has successfully raised her own babies and another hens babies, with out any trouble. I have to get her off the nest because she is so devoted!!! I put her in her big dog crate to lay on some fake eggs, until I get some new Silkie eggs. I want her to be nice and broody for when they get here.

I have been very sad lately. I have had a few different shipped batches of eggs, not hatch. I figured that I must be doing something wrong…so I am going to leave it up to my pro porcelain hen.

When I get my hens, I'll leave the hatching up to them. I don't have the confidence in hatching eggs myself, besides, It seems like too much work/worry for me. I also have Guinea pigs that have colorful babies. Instead of 20/23 days waiting for babies, it's 68/70 days waiting for babies. Then they are weaned around 30 days after they were born.

I'm getting a silkie, which I hope will be really broody, because even though my first hatch went quite well considering I had no experience, I'd rather leave it to the pros too! How long will they stay broody once induced? Do they lose interest after a certain amount of time has gone by?

My hen is unique...she will go broody when ever I leave eggs down for her to lay on. If I take the eggs they just keep laying more eggs. I brought her in and put her on some eggs and she took right to them and is laying right now. I will get the eggs ordered and trade them under her and she will sit until it is time. She is an excellent mom. She raised the babies too. Her last hatch is now almost full grown and she is laying eggs again. So...she is ready for another hatch.

Back
Top Bottom