Bringing Chickens Into Texas From Other States?

OtterCreekRanch

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
NE Texas
Ok, so I have been trying to research what I need to (legally) bring chickens into Texas from other states, but all of the website I have found are much too complicated for me to understand. I am planning on buying some birds at a show in Oklahoma in December and bringing them home with me. Right now I am for sure getting 3 (from Louisiana by way of the Oklahoma show), but may end up getting more. Has anyone in Texas done this before? I am guessing I probably need them to be NPIP certified which is no problem, but then there was mention of AI testing and certificate of veterinary inspection? So all of the birds I bring into Texas will need to have been inspected by a vet and have health papers? This is not required by the show (from what I have read), so does this mean I would not be able to buy anything on the spot and would have to arrange to have the sellers of the birds I am getting take them to the vet and get a health cert before we meet up in OK? Or I am just confused all together? I know I have heard something about there being health testing at the shows...is that what I need to bring them back or do I need something in addition?

Also I know from crossing the border that there are stations set up at the state line along the main highways that say that vehicles carrying livestock need to stop and I guess be inspected and check that their paperwork is in order....do I need to stop with only 3 or so chickens for my own personal flock, or is that only for commercial type people?

I would love to hear from anyone in Texas that has bought chickens out of state and brought them back themselves (as opposed to having them shipped). I know I can obviously just buy the chickens and drive home and avoid the whole mess all together by not worrying about it, but I want to stay legal as possible.

Yes that is what I tried at first but the laws are so long and complicated and most of it applies more to commerical breeders and hatcheries that I got even more confused than I was before I started. Was hoping someone who has done it before can give me the simple facts without all of the extra that does not apply to me.

Post this question in the TEXAS thread. I'm sure someone there will know the answer.

In case you don't know that they have it, there is a sticky at the top of the Where am I? Where are you! index that willl take you to your states thread.

Last edited:
I have traveled between Texas and Ok lots of times on I35 and have never seen an inpection station. I would not know where to stop and get inspected. Why do you think it is still something enforcable?

There is a station on I-35. There is a huge sign for it right after you cross the state line into Texas. I am not sure you can see where the building is you are supposed to stop at from the road, but I know the sign is there telling you to exit if you have any Livestock, Exotics, Poultry, etc. I know I could easily just drive on past with my three chickens in the car and no one would know the difference, but I am not sure that is really legal. I am working on getting all of my NPIP stuff in order and I don't want it to come out later that I have birds with NPIP Certs from another state but not the right paperwork for those birds to have crossed the state line. Like I said I am not sure if stopping at the inspection stations even applies to small amounts to poultry going into a private flock or just commercial type operations. That is why I am asking.

Edit to add:

I found a picture of what one of the signs in question looks like. I have seen it both on I-35 coming from OK and I-20 coming from LA.

i35exit498b_01.JPG

Last edited:
Texas is not that concerned about a small number of birds. I have brought chickens back from Mannsville, OK several times, and I have even brought some back from Mississippi. Just make sure you have NPIP documents, bill of sale, breeder info, and that they are healthy. The checkpoint is to be sure you are not transporting sick animals, prohibited animals, protected animals, endangered animals, or too many animals. And yes you should stop but really they are more concerned with commercial vehicles transporting animals into the state.

Citron_d'uccle :

Texas is not that concerned about a small number of birds. I have brought chickens back from Mannsville, OK several times, and I have even brought some back from Mississippi. Just make sure you have NPIP documents, bill of sale, breeder info, and that they are healthy. The checkpoint is to be sure you are not transporting sick animals, prohibited animals, protected animals, endangered animals, or too many animals. And yes you should stop but really they are more concerned with commercial vehicles transporting animals into the state.

That is the information I was hoping to find. Thank you. I appreciate your help.​

Back
Top Bottom