Bringing home my starter flock and rain in the forecast... wwyd

jenn-

Chirping
Mar 5, 2015
Southern Alabama
My coop is finally ready for me to get my starter flock. I am bringing birds between 10-12 wks (not exactly sure yet). I was planning on either tomorrow or Wednesday. Looking at the forecast, it is 60-80% chance of rain for the next 9 days. Should I wait to bring them home? Should I bring them home but keep them locked up in the coop? Should I bring them home and let them out and about? I wasn't planning on doing the feed and water into the coop but this would obviously be special circumstances.

Most do lock new birds in the coop for a few days to lock the idea in, that the coop is their new home. If your coop has a run attached, you can if you want leave them the option to use it during that time. Bring them home. Its going to rain at some time during their life.

At that age I would bring them home and only leave them locked in the coop a day or so. They'll be roosting at that age and it should only take one or maybe two nights for them to figure out where to sleep. Don't worry about the rain, I'm in the PNW and my birds have free choice as to be in the coop or run. They're out in the rain frequently and do just fine.

I guess my bigger issue is what to do with the food and water. If I lock them up I will have to have those in there. I don't know if these birds will scale down the ramp to get to their food if it is raining out. The run is covered but they are talking thunderstorms which means rain blowing in from all over the place.

That's why I have food and water in the run. My birds are locked in their safe coop every night, and I'm not out there at dawn to let them into their run, which is when they get up and want to eat and drink. If your run is also predator proof and covered, it will be fine. Mary

Back
Top Bottom