Bringing in a rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tressa27884, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    So I was at my bird breeder the other day picking up birds for my aviary when I walked by his chicken coop. Inside was a beautiful rooster and two hens. I mentioned how handsome his boy was and he asked if I wanted him as he no longer wanted chickens.

That got me thinking. This is a proven " nice" rooster. Jack walked in and picked him right up. So here's the question - if he's a good boy at Jacks house, will he also be a good boy at my house?

If I bring him home and not the hens will that effect any of them? He currently lives with two hens and I have 15, does that matter? I'd like to bring home a roo, as the neighborhood cats have discovered the coop, and while my Dane is out with them most of the time (and is a great protector), I'd like the girls to have some protection the rest of the time. Thoughts.

2. Magnum_D

Magnum_D Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    Springfield Missouri
    Initially they may quarrel a bit to establish order, but over a period of time you should be fine. If he is proven to be a gentle bird already, I think you'll be alright.
    -Magnum

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by