bringing in a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kleinheksel farm, Feb 9, 2012.

1. kleinheksel farm

kleinheksel farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Holland, MI
    My wife and i have 5 hens and are hoping to hatch some of their eggs this spring. Our roosters that we had last year were getting a little aggressive so we decided to make them dinner. Anyway, we have a friend who has a bunch of chickens, and we're hoping to borrow one of his roosters so we can hatch some eggs this spring. I've read on here that there are risks when bringing other chickens into your flock. I don't really understand all of that risk, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on whether this is a good idea or not. Another fear is that since my hens have been without a rooster for about 4 months, is it going to stress them out having a rooster with them now? I figure we'll only keep him for 2 weeks or so, and then we'll give him back. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I am fairly new to owning chickens. I have had mine for almost 6 months. I had only hens in the beginning, then I added a 7 month old rooster to my 34 week old hens and they did great! I really don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to the rooster. He would only put them in their place. Hope I'm right and hope this helps!

3. kleinheksel farm

kleinheksel farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Holland, MI
    My biggest fear is that it might bring a disease in. I've read on here that it isn't good to bring mature chickens into your flock. It will only be for two weeks. I'm planning on doing it unless someone can give me good reason not to. I'd just hate to lose my flock (as small as it may be).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by