Bringing New Birds to an Existing Flock or Starting Clean?

reddirtbirds

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
Central Oklahoma
Hi everyone,
I've had chickens for several years now but recently due to unfortunate events involving coyotes, snakes, and a hawk my little flock has dwindled to two (a pair of cochin brahma crosses, a father and daughter of course :barnie). I've completely predator-proofed my coop, and I'm now wanting to repopulate my flock. Since I can't breed the rooster and hen I have, buying new chicks is my only option. I'm wondering though if it would be best to sell/cull my last two birds and start clean? I started my original flock before I knew much about biosecurity or disease in flocks, and even though my birds have never had any symptoms of anything, I'm worried about new birds being affected negatively when introduced to my flock's diseases that they're already immune to. Would starting completely fresh (a completely new flock) and eliminating my flock's disease be possible with a deep clean on my coop?

If your hen goes broody giving her very young chicks to raise is awesome. It takes so much work off you.

Are you looking at getting started pullets, adult hens or adding chicks?

I'd like to add chicks so I can make sure they grow up enjoying human interaction. If I gave my hen fertile eggs or day old chicks to raise would disease be less of a worry? I've read that young chicks/hatching eggs have a low probability of bringing disease into your flock is that true?

I'd like to add chicks so I can make sure they grow up enjoying human interaction. If I gave my hen fertile eggs or day old chicks to raise would disease be less of a worry? I've read that young chicks/hatching eggs have a low probability of bringing disease into your flock is that true?

That is very true. I bring in chicks and have a broody hen raise them.
The thing is....they haven't been alive long enough to catch any nasty diseases yet.

Every chicken breed was developed by inbreeding. Grand champion show chickens are developed and maintained as champions by inbreeding. There are special techniques involved but typically you can go a few generations of inbreeding before you have adverse effects even if you are a raw rookie. You should be OK hatching eggs from that pair.

If she goes broody you could maybe put her eggs under her or you might be able to get hatching eggs from a neighbor. If we knew where you were located, at least which country, we might be able to make suggestions as to how you could find hatching eggs. If you want to control hatching you need an incubator. If she goes broody she quits laying and you might not have any of her eggs ready to incubate. Very few diseases are transmitted through hatching eggs. I consider them really safe.

If you can find day-old chicks you can raise them. From a biosecurity viewpoint age is not important. They can catch certain diseases or parasites the instant they hatch if other chickens are present. What is important is keeping them from contact with other chickens. Hatcheries are a great secure source. They use incubators and practice really good biosecurity. Chicks from a neighbor, especially if hatched by a broody, are a risk.

It is possible chicks could get a disease or parasite from that pair. Getting rid of them and a deep cleaning won't help that much. It will probably help with integration if you don't have to integrate. Many pathogens and parasites can live quite a while without the chickens around, often in the ground. If your current chickens have developed a flock immunity to them there is a real good chance any new chicks will too, especially if you introduce them to that environment at a very early age. I take dirt out of my main run and feed that to my chicks in the brooder on the second or third day to get that process started. Instead of trying to wrap them in a sterile environment (which they will eventually leave anyway) I try to strengthen their immune system right from the start. That way they are prepared.

I would cull them only if you want. I raised an introduced 7 chicks to my 4 four-year old flock of three hens and a Roo. The chicks were put in a coop with a fenced enclosure that shares a fence with the older birds from ages 8-16 weeks. I put the littles in the big bird's coop at night and after 2-3 days the pecking order was established smoothly because they were already very familiar with each other. It's a lot of work but if you're up for it and motivated, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom