Bringing the babies home!

LizGled628

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Rhode Island
My chicks should be ready today or tomorrow (ek!!) and I was just wondering what the best way to transport them is. The shop I ordered them from is about 20 minutes from my house. I'm worried they will be too cold on the ride!

Also, my 90 year old grandmother would like for me to bring one by her home (she had lived on a farm her entire life, until her seventies). When do you think it will be safe to travel with them? She only lives about 15 minutes away, and I think she just needs a cuteness fix.

Thanks! You guys rock!

I'm a newbie myself, but we got our chicks an hour from our home. They were in a small box for the trip home and just fine. Remember, chicks are shipped all over the country. I would take something for the bottom of the box, like an old towel, so they dont slip all over from the car ride.

I assume they are being shipped to the store? If you have purchased a minimum order (typically 25), they should be packed well enough to survive in the mail for a few days so the extra 20-30 minutes is no big deal. If you are splitting an order- I don't know. Here it is so hot very little additional heat is required.

Actually, in RI, the minimum is twelve. They get shipped to the Post Office then picked up by the owners and transported to the store and into a brooder until their proud Mama picks them up.

Back
Top Bottom