Bringing them inside a mistake?

Elaine06

Chirping
Jan 18, 2024
I have three 5mo old Welsh harlequin hens

During the Midwest cold snap (up to -18F not including wind chill) i brought them inside our cement floor room in a penned off area (~35-40F)

These past 2 days it got to 20F and I've put them out to free range. Am I at risk of giving them some sort of temperature shock having them out at single digit highs and -11F lows overnight this weekend?

Pic cause they are cute!

Attachments

• 20240118_095301.jpg
    20240118_095301.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 36
they are beautiful . did i just see them in youtube?
i’m an overprotective duck mommy so i wills bring them in again for that .
but they will probably be just fine if you don’t. as long as they have places to be out of the wind. and no containers of water big enough for them to swim in . and plenty of fresh dry bedding like straw.
you must have heated water buckets ? without them buckets would freeze over so fast you’d be out there every hour. It’s been in the teens here during the day the last few days and I’ve had to go out every three hours and add hot water to my ducks buckets.

they are beautiful . did i just see them in youtube?
i’m an overprotective duck mommy so i wills bring them in again for that .
but they will probably be just fine if you don’t. as long as they have places to be out of the wind. and no containers of water big enough for them to swim in . and plenty of fresh dry bedding like straw.
you must have heated water buckets ? without them buckets would freeze over so fast you’d be out there every hour. It’s been in the teens here during the day the last few days and I’ve had to go out every three hours and add hot water to my ducks buckets.
Thanks for your response! We don't have a YouTube channel or anything so they aren’t web stars haha.

So far I've been just adding hot water during the day when it's been below freezing if they're outside, I need to look into a heated bowl/plate.

I may keep then inside this weekend then and move them back out afterwards. I was not prepared this past weekend and panicked thus brought them inside. It was just so cold and I was scared they would freeze in their little plastic coop even with deep bedding.

Haha ok! That makes me feel a little better. Unfortunately I have one kiddo who just won't stop chasing them :rant

My kids and I held our ducklings daily since they were three days old and they STILL don't like being handled, though they happily eat out of our hands and will cuddle with us on the floor/ground if given no escape route lol

Back
Top Bottom