1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bringing up humidity levels in a homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenphile, Mar 1, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    How can this be done? I have a plastic tube of water and a sponge in their but the highest I can get it is around 50%. This from waht I have read is good for awhile but what about later in the cycle? Can or should I spritz the eggs with warm water daily? I have not put my eggs in yet (tomorrow morning) but want to be prepared.

thanks
    Chris

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I use a thin rectangular sponge and stand it on end to get the most surface area. just put it in on day 18

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I live in a dry climate and sometimes had difficulty getting my humidity up so I would open the incubator just a crack and spritz water in once a day. Dont open it more than a crack and keep it closed the rest of the time.

Also, a larger pan with more surface area of water will produce more humidity.

chel

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Add more sponges, I wouldnt spritz the eggs if they are chicken eggs, that should only be done with waterfowl eggs to my knowledge. If you have room you can put a dish of water also or some people put wet papertowels or washcloths in. I find that adding more sponges is the easiest and least messy. Sometimes I have 4-5 sponges plus a dish of water , I'm in a very low humidity climate. Also I've had my incubator in my spare bathroom and turned on the hot shower for a few minutes, steamed it up and left the door shut... that helps up it too.

Good luck

Nancy

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    These are all great ideas I was wondering the same thing as the OP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by