Bringing up humidity levels in a homemade incubator

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
How can this be done? I have a plastic tube of water and a sponge in their but the highest I can get it is around 50%. This from waht I have read is good for awhile but what about later in the cycle? Can or should I spritz the eggs with warm water daily? I have not put my eggs in yet (tomorrow morning) but want to be prepared.

thanks
Chris

I live in a dry climate and sometimes had difficulty getting my humidity up so I would open the incubator just a crack and spritz water in once a day. Dont open it more than a crack and keep it closed the rest of the time.

Also, a larger pan with more surface area of water will produce more humidity.

chel

Add more sponges, I wouldnt spritz the eggs if they are chicken eggs, that should only be done with waterfowl eggs to my knowledge. If you have room you can put a dish of water also or some people put wet papertowels or washcloths in. I find that adding more sponges is the easiest and least messy. Sometimes I have 4-5 sponges plus a dish of water , I'm in a very low humidity climate. Also I've had my incubator in my spare bathroom and turned on the hot shower for a few minutes, steamed it up and left the door shut... that helps up it too.

Good luck

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom