Brinsea 24 egg quadrant turning troubles

Dinoroar

Crowing
Jul 11, 2020
I am where I am
I have a tried and true 14 egg brinsea maxi II ex that I’ve used for years without issue. I always thought though that the 14 egg disk was a little funny. Why have the small quail sized holes in the middle ring instead of a few more of the same size as the outer.

Anyway I recently ordered the 24 egg quadrants thinking I could up the capacity a bit but when I got the quadrants I immediately noticed they were much flimsier than my original disk. Also they are designed very differently. The holes are larger and instead of sitting flush with the incubator base there is a small space. I went to load it up with eggs and testing it out discovered that it didn’t actually turn most of them.

The disks are described as being fit medium eggs. I would say the ones I put in were medium large. Not huge eggs but pretty big so technically maybe that is the issue. However I have hatched much larger eggs in the original disk without problems.

Anyway I posted about my issue in the April hatch a long and discovered there were others having similar issues and some potential work arounds!

@Waterfaery, @Honora, @Iluveggers, @Cluckatar
Post in thread 'April 2023 Hatch-A-Long'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/april-2023-hatch-a-long.1567351/post-26674963

6B7DC374-7FD6-4C13-B06F-9744BAB6D57C.jpeg
01ECF432-9996-48E9-A24D-540FB950B1ED.jpeg
1B0174DF-6B2F-4DE6-A6C1-4AA42DA80F3E.jpeg
image.jpg

Pictures comparing the 24 quadrant to the 14 egg disk.

The 14 egg disk is much heavier plastic. The ‘gear’ teeth are much thicker so they have no trouble engaging. The holes sit flat against the base. There are raised ridges between the holes to prevent eggs knocking into each other. The 24 egg quadrants, in spite of having larger openings don’t effectively turn largish eggs.

Just set my eggs in this so I will keep following this thread and post any modifications we end up making with our hatch.
Hopefully you won’t have any trouble with the smaller sized eggs. It may be that ‘medium’ disk is just really limited in the size it can handle.

I have a tried and true 14 egg brinsea maxi II ex that I’ve used for years without issue. I always thought though that the 14 egg disk was a little funny. Why have the small quail sized holes in the middle ring instead of a few more of the same size as the outer.

Anyway I recently ordered the 24 egg quadrants thinking I could up the capacity a bit but when I got the quadrants I immediately noticed they were much flimsier than my original disk. Also they are designed very differently. The holes are larger and instead of sitting flush with the incubator base there is a small space. I went to load it up with eggs and testing it out discovered that it didn’t actually turn most of them.

The disks are described as being fit medium eggs. I would say the ones I put in were medium large. Not huge eggs but pretty big so technically maybe that is the issue. However I have hatched much larger eggs in the original disk without problems.

Anyway I posted about my issue in the April hatch a long and discovered there were others having similar issues and some potential work arounds!

@Waterfaery, @Honora, @Iluveggers, @Cluckatar
Post in thread 'April 2023 Hatch-A-Long'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/april-2023-hatch-a-long.1567351/post-26674963
Great idea to post this outside of the April group.

Yeah, I've made a workaround and it seems to be doing great. I'll post photos of it once my incubator is empty of eggs.

Great idea to post this outside of the April group.

Yeah, I've made a workaround and it seems to be doing great. I'll post photos of it once my incubator is empty of eggs.
I’ll be very interested to see!

Also I noticed that brinsea advertises the manual turn version of the maxi as holding 30 egg! Thinking about your comment on it being too small for hatching 24, 30 would be pretty stuffed. I’ve hatched that many quail in they’re but they’re so so tiny.

OK, here are the details as promised now that I've been finally able to get some photographs.

It's really very simple so nothing fancy!

First, I used the supplied hatching mat as a template and made a piece the same size and shape out of some silicone shelf liner. The shelf liner provides traction so the eggs turn instead of slide. It's also soft so it stops them clattering around. And it's washable, so easy to clean between hatches.

This is what the surface of it looks like:

IMG_20230423_182701.jpg

Next, I made a disc out of cardboard to raise the eggs up so they are held at more of a tilt instead of flat on their sides. To make this, I laid out the egg turning trays over some cardboard and marked the centre point of the circle. Then I took two measurements:
1. the radius from the centre to about half way across the inner ring of holes.
2. the radius from the centre to about half way across the outer ring of holes

I cut the cardboard disc so that it sits between these two measurements. Then I just sellotaped the cardboard disc to the back of the shelf liner, making sure it was aligned correctly. I checked this using the turning discs to make sure I got the position right. I hope you can see what I mean in the photos below.

Here it is without the turning discs:

IMG_20230423_182653.jpg

And with the turning discs:

IMG_20230423_182715.jpg

The cardboard is stuck to the underside of the shelf liner.

IMG_20230423_182636.jpg

The whole thing just sits under the turning discs with the cardboard underneath and the grippy side of the shelf liner facing up. The cardboard raises the round end of the eggs up so the pointy end points down more and the eggs are at more of a tilt. The outer ring of eggs tilt outwards and the inner ring tilt inwards. My first attempt was actually to make two separate discs to make both rings of eggs tilt outwards but it didn't work as well for the inner eggs so I changed it to this way before setting eggs The cardboard needs to be thick enough to cause enough of a tilt on the eggs so that it actually makes a difference.

This is what it looks like with eggs in it. If you have this incubator, hopefully you can see what I mean about the extra tilt to the eggs.

IMG_20230423_183427.jpg

I tested it absolutely loads with plain eating eggs before setting good eggs in it. I moved it around both by hand and by pressing the turning buttons and both with and without eggs. I did need to fiddle and tweak the size of the cardboard disc until I was happy with it but once I got it right, it has been consistently perfect ever since.

One thing I encountered was that the change in slope under the turning disc segments made them keep coming away from each other when I turned them. My fix for this was to use a small piece of sellotape to stick the discs together at the corners. Obviously this isn't ideal if you want to take the segments in and out separately during an incubation but I haven't needed to and guess most people wouldn't need to. You can just about see the sellotape here in this photo in the corners where the segments meet.

IMG_20230423_182719.jpg

I've done two incubations before I made the modification and two incubations since having it in place. I had so many frustrating issues with the turner for those first two hatches. It was just constant fussing, manual turning, swapping positions of eggs etc every day, right through the hatches. That was annoying and not what I expected or wanted in an automatic incubator but the main reason I made the modification was because of the number of malpositioned chicks I had in those first two hatches. The second hatch was with eggs that I picked up from someone locally so they weren't even shipped eggs and they were almost all malpositioned. I did a lot of research and troubleshooting and concluded that the turner was likely the main problem.

These are some of the problems I repeatedly had that have been completely resolved using this modification:
  • eggs sliding instead of turning - the grippy shelf liner stops that
  • eggs getting stuck against each other and against the side - the increased angle and pointing the outer eggs outwards stops that (I find that the shape of the plastic sides really doesn't lend itself well to eggs pointing in anyway)
  • eggs getting hairline cracks from clattering around on the hard plastic - the softness of shelf liner stops that
  • malpositioned chicks from eggs not being in a natural, pointy end sloping down position - the increased tilt stops that
  • having to check several times a day, manually turn eggs that didn't turn, move eggs that became stuck against the plastic side, swap eggs around to find better positions for each one and generally fuss over them - not a problem anymore
The two hatches I did since making this went really well. I didn't have to move or manually turn any egg, not once. I got absolutely zero malpositions and an almost 100% hatch rate (the only issues I had were clears and that was because I put infertile eggs in).

Hopefully this helps others. Obviously, if you are interested in copying the idea, please do so at your own risk, use your own discretion and, most importantly, please do your own extensive testing with your own eggs before setting any. And if you're trying it because you're having an issue with malpositions, be aware that there are other things that can cause it so do your own research to rule these other things out as well.

OK, here are the details as promised now that I've been finally able to get some photographs.

First, I used the supplied hatching mat as a template and made a piece the same size and shape out of some silicone shelf liner. The shelf liner provides traction so the eggs turn instead of slide. It's also soft so it stops them clattering around. And it's washable, so easy to clean between hatches.

View attachment 3478643

Next, I made a disc out of cardboard to raise the eggs up so they are held at more of a tilt instead of flat on their sides. To make this, I laid out the egg turning trays over some cardboard and marked the centre point of the circle. Then I took two measurements:

I cut the cardboard disc so that it sits between these two measurements. Then I just sellotaped the cardboard disc to the back of the shelf liner, making sure it was aligned correctly. I checked this using the turning discs to make sure I got the position right. I hope you can see what I mean in the photos below.

View attachment 3478659

View attachment 3478657

View attachment 3478658

The whole thing just sits under the turning discs with the cardboard underneath and the grippy side of the shelf liner facing up. The cardboard raises the round end of the eggs up so the pointy end points down more and the eggs are at more of a tilt. The outer ring of eggs tilt outwards and the inner ring tilt inwards. My first attempt was actually to make two separate discs to make both rings of eggs tilt outwards but it didn't work as well for the inner eggs so I changed it to this way before setting eggs The cardboard needs to be thick enough to cause enough of a tilt on the eggs so that it actually makes a difference.

This is what it looks like with eggs in it. If you have this incubator, hopefully you can see what I mean about the extra tilt to the eggs.

View attachment 3478669

I tested it absolutely loads with plain eating eggs before setting good eggs in it. I moved it around both by hand and by pressing the turning buttons and both with and without eggs. I did need to fiddle and tweak the size of the cardboard disc until I was happy with it but once I got it right, it has been consistently perfect ever since.

One thing I encountered was that the change in slope under the turning disc segments made them keep coming away from each other when I turned them. My fix for this was to use a small piece of sellotape to stick the discs together at the corners. Obviously this isn't ideal if you want to take the segments in and out separately during an incubation but I haven't needed to and guess most people wouldn't need to. You can just about see the sellotape here in this photo in the corners where the segments meet.

View attachment 3478689

I've done two incubations before I made the modification and two incubations since having it in place. I had so many frustrating issues with the turner for those first two hatches. It was just constant fussing, manual turning, swapping positions of eggs etc every day, right through the hatches. That was annoying and not what I expected or wanted in an automatic incubator but the main reason I made the modification was because of the number of malpositioned chicks I had in those first two hatches. The second hatch was with eggs that I picked up from someone locally so they weren't even shipped eggs and they were almost all malpositioned. I did a lot of research and troubleshooting and concluded that the turner was likely the main problem.

These are some of the problems I repeatedly had that have been completely resolved using this modification:
  • eggs getting stuck against each other and against the side - the increased angle and pointing the outer eggs outwards stops that (I find that the shape of the plastic sides really doesn't lend itself well to eggs pointing in anyway)
  • eggs getting hairline cracks from clattering around on the hard plastic - the softness of shelf liner stops that
  • malpositioned chicks from eggs not being in a natural, pointy end sloping down position - the increased tilt stops that
  • having to check several times a day, manually turn eggs that didn't turn, move eggs that became stuck against the plastic side, swap eggs around to find better positions for each one and generally fuss over them - not a problem anymore
The two hatches I did since making this went really well. I didn't have to move or manually turn any egg, not once. I got absolutely zero malpositions and an almost 100% hatch rate (the only issues I had were clears and that was because I put infertile eggs in).

Hopefully this helps others. Obviously, if you are interested in copying the idea, please do so at your own risk, use your own discretion and, most importantly, please do your own extensive testing with your own eggs before setting any. And if you're trying it because you're having an issue with malpositions, be aware that there are other things that can cause it so do your own research to rule these other things out as well.
Wow that is impressive trial & error. Job well done!

View attachment 3478643

View attachment 3478659

View attachment 3478657

View attachment 3478658

View attachment 3478669

View attachment 3478689

Thank you for posting the awesome description and pictures! I don’t know if you’ve contacted brinsea with your disk issues but you may want to forward your post to them. I’m not sure how they decided those disks were good enough to sell but thinking about all the issues you’ve had multiplied by how ever many people have had to suffer through heartbreak from bad hatches is just awful.

I sent them an email to let them know I wasn’t happy with the disks and they refunded my order and said they around forward my message to the design team so they seemed very responsive. I hadn’t actually run a hatch with the disks though so your experience may give them a clearer idea of the design flaws.

Back
Top Bottom