Brinsea Ecoglow Brooder, happy chicks?

gabbyscritters

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
fredonia, wi
Looking for feedback on how happy you & your chicks are with the Brinsea Ecoglow brooder.
Considering the large ecoglow, on sale and also have a promo discount.
would be used only for bantams.

Thanks

I use the Ecoglow as well as heat lamps in various brooders. I've got two brooders going right now.

My chicks love the Ecoglow since it gives them a warm dark place to hide.

When they're first placed under the Ecoglow you really gotta make sure they all come out from underneath the Ecoglow to eat/drink so they know where the food/water is located.

I usually take them one by one to the food/water till they get used to the idea.

Chicks raised under the heat lamps are more active and will do more exploring early on since they do not have anything to "hide" under.

The Ecoglow is also great for your own peace of mind since you no longer have to worry about a heat lamp bulb blowing out in the middle of a cold night.

I currently have 16 baby chicks underneath an Ecoglow20.

I used the ecoglow last spring with my first set of baby chicks and I just loved it. It's much more natural, like their mother's warmth, than keeping a hot, bright light on them 24/7. I also had plenty of peace of mind knowing that I could leave the house and it would be safe from fire and the chicks would be warm.

There are several threads on here about them, I recommend doing a search and checking it out.

The only downside to it is that when they get older they roost on top and poop all over it, but that's not really a big deal at all.

Good luck!

I have both the 20 and a 50. Love them both - get the 50 if you can afford it - it's MUCH easier to adjust and you can make one side higher than the other if you have different sized chicks. And it's huge. I love that the chicks actually sleep at night, just like they would under mama. No pasty butts, no worries about the heat lamp. I put shelf liner on top so when they poop on it it's easy to clean. :)

I just ordered the EcoGlow 50, it was on sale for $109.99 and I used the coupon code "Whisper" (I had to call to get the code to work) and saved another $8; with shipping ($26) it came to $127.99. Directly from Brinsea.com, you can find a link on BYC's home page.

I got the 50 for two reasons. First, the 20 is out of stock til late March, second with the 50 you can take the legs off on one side to lower it. I breed mostly bantys so this is good.

Last year I nearly had a fire. My heat lamp fell. Fortunately, it fell straight down, so the reflector was on the floor. It burned through the bedding, the bottom of the tote and charred the floor, but because of the way it fell, there was no O2 to make flames. This year I don't have to worry about that!

Last edited:
Love mine also. The chicks are just as happy under it as they are under a broody. Well worth every penny - and not even a ding on our electric bill.

Back
Top Bottom