brinsea mini advance cooling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JHducks3, May 8, 2013.

1. JHducks3

JHducks3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    first time incubating duck eggs and my brinsea mini advance has a cooling mode that cools eggs for about 3 hrs aday because i know mother hens and ducks do this but should i let my incubator do it?
    will it increase or decrease hatch rate?? is 3 hours too much or too little? or should i not do it?

2. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I set my chicken eggs to 2 hours a day of cooling-- 100% hatch rate.. =)

3. JHducks3

May 8, 2013
    wow! :) my manufacturer advises 3 hrs for ducks should i do three hours or two hours?
    thanks for the reply :)

4. Bellurd

Bellurd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Woodland Hills, Ca
    I used the mini advance for my first hatch and did 1 hour of cooling for the second week (just because it seemed kind of scary to have them cool for that long but I got over it) and 2 hours for the last week. Ended up with 100% hatch rate!

5. JHducks3

May 8, 2013
    Wow! I'm gonna do 3hrs as my manufacturer advises :) or maybe 2 and I started the incubation last night and ducks need 28 days to hatch and today it said it was 27 days so that means they didnt get a full 28th day so this morning I set it back to 28 days to give them a full 28th.should I have done this? Or will it damage my eggs?

6. SassiaKY

SassiaKY Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    KY
    Are the eggs cool when they start back up to heat?

7. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I have a brinsea mini advance also.. I figured the cooling feature is fairley new for personal incubators so instead of worrying about it i turned it off.. First batch 100%.. 7 out of 7 hatched and healthy.. We are currently on our second hatch, only 4 eggs.. One ended up being infertile, but the other three are developing right on schedule, 10 days in.. I think if you check, your not suppose to cool for the first week.. If you choose to cool, i wouldnt go a full 3 hours either.. Ive had broodys and seen them get down to eat.. Ive never seen it last more than an hour.. In my oppinion, if your unsure about the cooling feature, dont use it.. People have hatched eggs in indubators for generations without cooling.. Some people say it helps hatch rate.. I say the brinsea mini advance will give you an average of over 90% hatch reguardless

1 person likes this.
  8. CooperDooper

CooperDooper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    CT
    Hi Everyone,

I mis-read the manual and thought that the cooling was another automatic feature that started on day 7 and stopped 2 days before hatch. So unfortunately, I turned the cooling feature ON when I set up my incubator. Today, Day 4, I happened to glance at the temp and noticed it was at 86.9. I freaked out! I immediately went through the menu and turned the cooling feature to OFF. However, it continued to cool! I called the 800# and learned that when you change a setting it won't take effect for 24 hours.

So unfortunately, Day 2, 3 and 4, my eggs weren't heated for 45 mins once each day.

I plan to candle them on Day 7 and see what I find. They will be tough to see as there are 4 blue eggs, 2 green and a dark tan (cuckoo maran) so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to see.

So I'm asking you all to take out your crystal balls and tell me : Is this hatch ruined?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by