Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator

Hi! I am new to the forum and just ordered the mini advance with the 12 egg trays but think that they won't turn because it will be tight in there...(Bantam eggs). Should I just pull the tray out and mark an X on one fat end and an "O" exactly opposite the X, but on the same side as the X (essentially the x will be on top of the O) and then turn to the X every few hours and then to the O the next few hours? Also, how do I keep that pointed side down as the manual suggests if I take them out of the 12 eggs tray holder...won't they sort of lay flay then? too bad there isn't a "worried" smiley face... Thank you!

First things first.... hang on until you get the incubator first. No point in worrying about it until you find out it doesn't actually do what you thought. The 12-egg tray was designed for Quail/Pheasant size eggs - how does that compare with your Bantam eggs? What size are they (weight and diameter?) someone else may be able to offer some assistance if you supply that information.

Quote:
Yupper. I got mine for my birthday in February (well, for an early gift in January. Couldn't wait!). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It keeps temps perfectly and I've had 99% hatch rate in the two hatches I've done. It's easy to use, reliable and easy to clean. The temps bounce right back after lifting the cover for any reason.
Can't recommend it highly enough. Worth every penny of the $140 my relatives spent for it!!
smile.png

Quote:
They don't recommend using marbles, etc. in the reservoir and I don't. I dont' think it's necessary b/c as you can probably see from this photo, they really can't get into the water reservoir (the yellow, divided circle in the middle) due to the design of the dome that projects down towards the bottom.

43104_2-11-10_hatched_soupy_28.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They don't recommend using marbles, etc. in the reservoir and I don't. I dont' think it's necessary b/c as you can probably see from this photo, they really can't get into the water reservoir (the yellow, divided circle in the middle) due to the design of the dome that projects down towards the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43104_2-11-10_hatched_soupy_28.jpg

I figured out where I read that - it's actually in the owner's manual that comes with the Mini Eco that I found on the Brinsea website (they sure don't make it easy to get to), it says: "IMPORTANT: After hatching, the smallest chicks (e.g. quail) can be at risk from drowning in the water pots. It is advised that small pebbles or marbles are placed in each water pot before hatching to reduce this risk. This will not reduce the evaporation of the water if the level is maintained to just above the pebbles." So, it's not a problem with chick or ducklings sized hatchlings - just itty-bitty things, like quail.

For those of you considering buying the Brinsea Mini, here's a link to the user manual I'm referencing:
Mini Eco: http://www.brinsea.com/pdffiles/Mini%20Eco%20US.pdf
Mini Advance: http://www.brinsea.com/pdffiles/Mini Advance US.pdf
Mini EX: http://www.brinsea.com/pdffiles/Mini%20EX%20US.pdf

And
an informational pamphlet on all three models of the Mini:
http://www.brinsea.com/images/bp ex bits/Minis(ex)_210x280web.pdf

Anyways, I decided to go with a second Octagon 20 Eco with an auto-turner, and I've got 11 Columbian Bantam Cochin eggs in it now!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43104_2-11-10_hatched_soupy_28.jpg

I figured out where I read that - it's actually in the owner's manual that comes with the Mini Eco that I found on the Brinsea website (they sure don't make it easy to get to), it says: "IMPORTANT: After hatching, the smallest chicks (e.g. quail) can be at risk from drowning in the water pots. It is advised that small pebbles or marbles are placed in each water pot before hatching to reduce this risk. This will not reduce the evaporation of the water if the level is maintained to just above the pebbles." So, it's not a problem with chick or ducklings sized hatchlings.

Anyways, I decided to go with a second Octagon 20 Eco with an auto-turner, and I've got 11 Columbian Bantam Cochin eggs in it now!
smile.png

Oops! I don't recall reading that, probably b/c I don't hatch quail, so it doesn't pertain to me! But then again, my 4 year old has a better memory than I do!

Quote:
Depends on the size of your bantam eggs. Truth be told, I bought the 12 egg tray as well thinking that perhaps it would work with my bantam cochin eggs. The tray would hold the 12 eggs, but they sat so close together that they were unable to turn properly. Its really a shame... had they made the tray for 10 or even 11 eggs, then bantam eggs would fit great! And really with all the bantam owners out there, it would be smart for them to do just that (i.e. manufacturer a 10 egg tray for bantam eggs).

Quote:
Yupper. I got mine for my birthday in February (well, for an early gift in January. Couldn't wait!). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It keeps temps perfectly and I've had 99% hatch rate in the two hatches I've done. It's easy to use, reliable and easy to clean. The temps bounce right back after lifting the cover for any reason.
Can't recommend it highly enough. Worth every penny of the $140 my relatives spent for it!!
smile.png

Yeah, I've got one since starting this thread and I'm very pleased with it. I've got 9 call duck eggs developing right along in the Mini Advance right now.

Hey im going to be ordering the mini advance soon to be incubating some quail and duck eggs later.Im just wondering if the egg tray came with the advance or do I have to pay for it?It seems awefully expensive to buy it alone.

Back
Top Bottom