Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator

Scott

Ozark Bantams
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Does anyone have one of those newer brinsea mini incubators? And if so, how do they work? I am looking to get a new incubator and was kinda leaning toward the brinsea. Has anyone used this brand/model and have any feedback on them. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am approaching my first hatch with a brinsea mini eco. I am absolutely thrilled with it - holds it's temperature perfectly despite room temperature changes of 5 degrees or more.
The water reservoir is in the middle. You fill one half for humidity during incubation, and fill both halves to bump up the humidity for hatch.
It's a great incubator, and will probably help keep me out of trouble because of it's small capacity - harder to hatch too many eggs when the addiction's in full swing
lol.png

Good Luck,
-Zay

I have an automatic turner, but for hand turning, people recommend either 3 or 5 times a day. Mark each side of the egg differently (X's and O's are common) and turn 180 degrees each time. You don't have to get up to turn them in the middle of the night. You should turn an odd number of times a day, so that the longest time the eggs go without turning (overnight) alternates sides from night to night.

Quote:
I found a frying pan in the cupboard last night that's the same diameter as the Mini, and set two cups inside of it that are about the same height. I realize now that it's not tall enough for there to be enough space for chicks/ducklings to get into the reservoir (except maybe quail). Scott - - would you, by any chance, be able to post some pictures of your Mini with eggs in it, just as a visual example of it's size? I'm still considering getting one of these in the future.

nmantime - Is the fan in the Mini any quieter than in the Octagon? I run the incubators in my bedroom so that I can keep the cats away from them (one of them managed to unplug the 'bator last year), and I'm super-sensitive to noise, and, to me, the fan is pretty noisy - at least it's a constant, droning sound, otherwise I don't know how I'd sleep!

I did decide to go with another Octagon 20 ECO- I really don't need anything that big this year, but it's more versatile (as far as egg capacity) than the Mini - it runs just as well with 3 or 4 eggs in it as it does with 24, and this way I always have that option of having more eggs in it - and I have the option of eventually getting the egg cradle (right now, there's always someone home to turn the incubator, but that could change in the future), whereas the Mini ECO can't be upgraded with a turner.

I was hoping to have my homemade hatcher ready and tested for this batch of eggs, but it's not, and these eggs are way too valuable for me to take any chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I somehow misplaced the little yellow water pot guard while cleaning my Mini Advance Incubator so I found a medicine cap the exact same size and DH, aka McGyver used his tools to make slats and holes in the top. It fits perfect! Brinsea website wanted $15 for this piece ($5 + $10 shipping) :th

Just search it on Amazon. I'm on my third hatch and have been having a blast with the kids waiting every time. Just had one of 7 hatch this morning.. Wife just called me. Go figure.. I'm at work! Grrrr :)

I chose the Brinsea Mini Advance because 1) Idiot-proof 2) Only wanted to hatch 7 eggs 3) My autistic son could watch them hatch. Wayfair.com is cheapest in my search at $157.39 and free ship, also 10% off your first purchase. Amazon was $163.98 w/ free shipping; Brinsea.com was $159.99 and shipping is pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom