Brinsea Ovation 56 EX five-year review

Mossy Dell

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2015
Southwestern VA
The Brinsea Ovation 56 EX is the best incubator I've used in decades of poultry raising. The Brinsea is rock solid on temperature control. It's excellent on humidity for most of incubation period and decent to good on late stage humidity. The latter is one of those get-to-know the device issues. And the humidity for 7/8th of the process is flawless.

I am in my fifth year of using my Brinsea 56 Ex. So my review is unusual in that it's a rather long-term evaluation. Two maintenance issues are a pain, but only one of them is serious. The more minor issue is the need to replace, every year, the short internal humidity tube that winds around the capstan pump. I get anxious every time, but it's not that big a deal. Especially if you refresh your memory with one of Brinsea's excellent YouTube videos. But I am getting old and don't want to fiddle! And for the price, I wish I didn't have to.

I use this Brinsea how-to, for the Ovation 28 EX model but it's the same as mine:

Which brings me to a cleaning issue and the related serious durability problem. To continue to see through the top, you must clean off the chick down that collects on the inside of the top. Wiping off the down is easy. But doing this requires you to remove six small screws that hold the inner liner below the top. Four of the screws are tiny and do not unscrew easily, even with a small screwdriver I've dedicated to this task.

Furthermore, the screws insert into plastic housings that join the top and the inner liner together. In the fifth year/fifth time I cleaned, two of those housings cracked, one seriously. Probably Brinsea would say it's an over-tightening issue. And it probably is. But it's uber challenging to always stop the screws perfectly. It frustrates me that there aren't small wingnut style bolts or some such instead of these tiny screws. Most of all, there should be a steel sleeve in the plastic for the screws.

This year, my inner liner appears to be sagging in one corner because the screw won't hold in the cracked housing. The key role of the inner liner seems to be to keep chicks away from the fan. But since I hatch in separate baskets or mesh bags, for pedigree purposes, I hope I can remove the inner liner without much consequence. Otherwise, this mostly great, expensive incubator is shot after five uses.

I wonder how other users on here have faced this issue, if they have. Am I alone in finding the tiny screws and this aspect of the design ridiculous? Do you have a better tool or technique for unscrewing and tightening the screws?

I've written Brinsea about this and will report back if I learn anything. Meantime this is a warning to other owners to be careful or you will compromise your incubator's longevity.

Last edited:
I heard back from Brinsea, a nice rep who emailed and had me call him. He suggested three fixes:

—see if the cracked housings can be glued (doubtful),

—see if a longer screw can be used to get a bite in the housing (almost as doubtful), or

—buy a new top skin for $70 and transfer the guts from the old unit.

The latter sounds a bit challenging, mostly the transfer of the heating wires so they attach correctly. But he offered to walk me through it on Zoom or Facetime or some such.

Honestly, after this hatch I'm going to see if I can get by with the damage. And ponder long and hard whether to ever clean off the chick down. It does limit visibility and I guess eventually would obscure it worse. But I can't ever see that much going on anyway.

Those are the challenging issues I have with the 56ex. The cleaning is a hassle. When I did mine the fan came unplugged. Only other issue I have with it is the how the turning arm / mechanism is setup. It would have been better if it was bottom driven so that putting the top back on isn't as frustrating as it is now.

I have a Brinsea Maxi II Advance incubator and I love it, but I have a similar issue with the screws in the plastic housing...

For me, I nearly stripped one of the screws when I first tried to remove the casing. Now I have the right size screwdriver, but the metal on these screws is so soft, because even with careful removal it seems to me that the screws are slightly more damaged every time I clean that part.

I also see this as a long term issue where overtime I might be unable to remove the screws entirely. Brinsea would probably send more replacement screws, but either way it's a bit nerve-wracking.

It's really my only complaint with the machine, but it definitely makes cleaning harder. If I skip that step I don't think the bator is a sanitized as it could be.

Back
Top Bottom