Learning to incubate

Predoggg

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
South Carolina
We have been looking into incubating eggs and reading up on it. We bought 2 incubators (Nuture Right 360 and Brinsea Maxi 24 Advance). The second one is a backup in case something happens to the other and also avoiding the cheap ones. We also got a candler and a hydrometer too as it is recommended here. Also found the pinned topics about incubating which are great. Our plan is to do first a try run with fertilized eggs from our mixed flock.

We still have couple questions:

You should set several eggs for incubation. Can you collect the eggs for incubation over several days? Do they have to go in the incubator the day they were collected? The eggs sitting out at room temperature.

We read the manuals and each has different recommendations for room temperature. The one manual recommends to keep the room temperature above 70F. Our thermostat is set to 68F. Has anyone experienced problems with lower room temperature?

Where do you have your incubators? We are thinking to use our utility room since it is generally dark and has no vibration.

Any other advice for us?

I collect a wad before puting them in the bator you can collect as long as you want though eggs that are 3+ weeks start losing hatchability though. I also pencil the date on each egg so i know how old they are always candle eggs before putting them in the bator

Eggs collected for hatching should be turned at least once a day, pointy ends kept down as much as possible depending on your setup. I collect over the course of a week or so, sometimes even two. I candle to check for porous egg shells (from older hens), double yolks (they never make it), or over large / wonky air cells. That way space is saved for eggs with the best chance. It's also a good idea to avoid dirty eggs as much as possible. Smaller eggs should be moved to the end of the line, unless it's a hen you particularly want to hatch from.

Air conditioning has given me some problems in the past, it's not so much the temperature as the flow of air. So incubators should be placed far away from vents. In the middle of summer with the house AC constantly blasting, I've made little forts out of decorative boxes to sit around the incubator and keep it sheltered without cutting off the fresh air supply.
If the 68 degrees you're talking about is from only heating the house that much, I wouldn't sorry about it but still avoid the house vents because you don't want the exterior temp rising and falling.I

I find it helpful to locate the incubator somewhere it can be seen all the time. It's a reminder to keep checking on it. And you don't want it to be somewhere that's uncomfortable to hang out when the babies are hatching. That never gets old. It's too challenging to move an incubator after the eggs are set. Also, avoid cold transfer surfaces like granite or marble or tile countertops. A wood surface is good.

Yes you can collect them over several days, and no you don’t put them in the incubator the day you collected them. You start them all at the same time, so they all hatch at the same time! They will not begin to develop until they are in the incubator.
The eggs waiting to be incubated should be turned every day.
Good luck, keep us updated!

We have been looking into incubating eggs and reading up on it. We bought 2 incubators (Nuture Right 360 and Brinsea Maxi 24 Advance). The second one is a backup in case something happens to the other and also avoiding the cheap ones. We also got a candler and a hydrometer too as it is recommended here. Also found the pinned topics about incubating which are great. Our plan is to do first a try run with fertilized eggs from our mixed flock.

We still have couple questions:

You should set several eggs for incubation. Can you collect the eggs for incubation over several days? Do they have to go in the incubator the day they were collected? The eggs sitting out at room temperature.

We read the manuals and each has different recommendations for room temperature. The one manual recommends to keep the room temperature above 70F. Our thermostat is set to 68F. Has anyone experienced problems with lower room temperature?

Where do you have your incubators? We are thinking to use our utility room since it is generally dark and has no vibration.

Any other advice for us?
question one: try to set similar age eggs. no more than 1.5 weeks after they are layed and, for best results, no more than three days after they were layed, with no more than two days age difference between the first and last. people say small eggs hatch better, but be certain they are not too small. keep at room temp until setting.

question two: I keep my eggs in a warmer room, but as long as the incubator does it's job, it is fine.

question three: do what you want, just remember to check them.

question four: research all you can! the articles on malposition helped me learn that eggs should be set on their side, or pointy part down, but never pointy part up, as it is bad for development. also check out the article on assisting hatch and safety pip.

four B: if the incubator is unplugged, plug it back in. I have had birds survive over twelve hours without heat, so although it's not good, it isn't a death sentence either.

four C: humidity is not a number, it is a tool. candle once a week, and adjust humidity if you need to. to much will drown your birds, but too little humidity and they will get stuck in the egg membrane and need assistance.

four D: get a hygrometer/ thermometer TEST IT, and place in a visible spot far from the other one, to be sure all eggs get the right amount.

four E: LOCK THE DOOR!!!! Thomas the barn cat ate one of my hatchlings.

Thank you all. This are all great and helpful answers. Yes, we have a house cat and she had been on our kitchen counter knocking the egg off and then eating.

We will keep reading up before we do our first try.

Back
Top Bottom