Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator

Very interested to read about this little incubator. I've got the BR Octagon 10 but I'm not pleased with it.
I looked op the mini advanced over here in the Netherlands but I can't find anything about automatic turning or the interval. Did I miss understood? Or is this the newest version BR Mini advanced Ex maybe?

The cost about $ 179.28 around here quitte expensive if I may say so.

I just hatched our very first eggs out of the mini advance (and we are first time hatchers). I ordered the extra tray and can say that it was not helpful...we wound up taking it out and actually shoving as many egss as we could in the little thing because we received so many extra. It hatched all of them but three ( I had more than 12 in it). But as a result of taking out the tray, I had to hand turn the eggs myself three times a day. Unless you have very small eggs, the larger egg tray will not work (we had bantams and they were too big) because the egss are too close and cannot turn.

Quote:
It took me a few goes to understand this. Am I right in saying..

You bought the 12-egg tray for pheasant/quail eggs, your Bantam hen eggs where touching and not rotating so you ran it manually and turned the eggs by hand?

If that's correct it would be very helpful if you could measure the diameter of the Bantam eggs and please post back.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Scott, how did the hatch go? I know call ducks can be hard to hatch. Did it go well for you and if not do you think the Brinsea mini had anything to do with it?
I'm really debating on getting one of these incubators but really can't justify spending the money as I usually let my broodies do the hatching for me and do have a Hovabator that works just fine if I do need to incubate something. I just think it would be so nice to have a little table-top model for late hatchers or any time I would only have a couple of eggs. I have OEGBs and it seems like such a waste to dig out my BIG old styrofoam bator for 5 or 6 eggs.
big_smile.png

I got the mini advanced...everything is very easy to set up but I do not think my eggs are turning. Do they go all the way around or back and forth. Sorry, sounds like a dumb ?? I have mine set for once an hour? Can you all help me? Thanks!

Back and forth.

If the eggs aren't turning when the motor runs there's one of two things that's wrong

1) You've put the tray in upside down, cupping the eggs and suspending them above the bottom of the incubator

- or -

2) The eggs are too large and are touching each other. Eggs over about a 140mm circumference don't fare well.

I have 7 eggs, 5 are Birchen Cochin bantam and 2 are Buttercup that are small - those two I have on opposite sides to balance, none are even close to touching. The tray is in the right position, shiny side up with the dividers. I thought maybe my setting was not working? If I go through the checks everything seems OK. Maybe I should only use the Bantam eggs.
Thanks for the advise!

Back
Top Bottom