Brinsea Mini Eco: humidity & other things

BeccaBeeOly

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
Washington
I just set my first hatch in my first incubator. I set 9 lovely blue Ameraucana eggs in a Brinsea Mini Eco on 05/05/13. I do not have a hygrometer, and am following the directions as provided by the company. I live in Western Washington (moderate relative humidity).
1) Am I being silly by not purchasing a hygrometer?
2) what is the removal black plug in the "tower" portion of the lid? It is not labled in the owner's manual.
3) have you done a "dry hatch" in your Brinsea mini eco?
4) any tips you would wish you knew about the Brinsea mini eco when you started with your first hatch?

I just started my first eggs in my new Brinsea mini eco on April 28. I had worked with it awhile before putting the eggs in to see what it did. I didn't know what that black plug thing was either, so I called the company. They said leave it in. It is only there because in the mini advance etc., that is where the turning motor would go, and they use the same lid shape.
I bought a reptile hygrometer (analog) to put in there, and also bought a digital temp/hygro for comparison. The analog one is the only one small enough to fit in the bator, and it runs between 3 and 6 percent above actual humidity, so since I know that, I can see pretty well where my in-incubator humidity is sitting. With the instructions of filling one well, I was running perfect 50-55% humidity all the time before I added eggs sitting up in cardboard egg carton cups. After adding the eggs in cups, I had to float a bit of styrofoam egg carton in the well to lower the humidity some ( that lowers surface area of the water, reducing humidity). Before doing that it was wanting to be around 61% because I guess the cardboard cartons hold humidity and keep it higher. As the water level in the well gets really low the humidity gets a little lower (like 46%) and when I refill it, it goes back up around 56%. I am in Oklahoma and our indoor humidity is running between 45 and 55 most of the time anyway. Yours may be higher. I am such a worrier about this that I would die without that hygrometer, but even without it, the humidity would have been between 40 and 62% which is mostly within ok range, although around 50 is what to shoot for I hear. I am not brave enough to try dry incubation, although many have done it with success. Mine are shipped Serama eggs, so I am just hoping for a couple of babies to make it. Good luck with yours. I love the way the Brinsea holds its temp so well.

Great information, barbieszoo!!!! Thank you! I'm considering doing a dry hatch until lockdown because the condensation is building up already and I read Ameraucana do better at lower humidity levels (35% the first 18 days, 60% at the end). I really need to get a hygrometer!!!

SOOOOO??!!??? How did your hatches do? I had the exact same question about the black plug, and I'm glad to find the answer. I set 13 polish eggs (purchased on eBay - fingers crossed!) in my Brinsea Mini Eco yesterday, and I'm SOOOOO excited.

I ended up with only 2 fertile eggs, and both hatched! I did nit use a hygrometer, and only turned 3 times per day. Boy, was I surprised to get two happy, healthy, well formed chickies!

I know I'm going to bump this after a month of inactivity, and OP has likely already figured their situation out, but this may help any newcomers looking for the same info..
I have a Brinsea mini Eco. For the Eco, I definitely recommend getting a hygrometer, as well as other sources of temperature reading. The thermometer that came in the incubator reads about 101 without eggs. I tried two other thermometers inside and got readings of 98 and 100. So I'm going to say the thermometer on my "factory setting" is reading a degree or two higher than actual temp.
Also, I am so glad I decided to go for a hygrometer before incubating anything. We looked everywhere and couldn't find hygrometers. Finally went to a pet store and found little round analog hygrometer and thermometer set for terrariums. They were $17 for the set and DH didn't want to pay that much but I talked him into it. They have a peel-off back to stick them to terrarium walls, but I stuck them to the plastic bit inside the incubator that sticks out into the center.. Perfect! If I hadn't gotten the hygrometer, I was just going to do the recommended filling one well until lockdown when both are filled. Boy am I glad I got that thing. With one well only partially filled, my humidity was reading at 70%! I removed every last drop of water and it still read at 30%! So I know to add just the slightest few drops of water to keep it at around 45-50. Because of the natural humidity in my house, I could probably get away with a dry incubation if I tried. At lockdown, I'll fill one well about halfway to bring humidity to about 70%.
In a nut-shell: get a hygrometer. And at least one other thermometer.

seems like I keep bumping into you LOL. keep me updated on how it runs with that incubator - ive never had one and it will help me to give advice.

Back
Top Bottom