Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance Fully Automatic Incubator - Anyone use this? - Tips or Tricks?

Have Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance Fully Automatic Incubator

• No, never used one

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes, and I have had poor results

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and I have had fair results

• Yes, and I have had good results

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes, I would recommend

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, I would not recommend

• Yes, simple and easy to use

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, not happy with ease of use

• Difficult to get settings correct and maintained on unit without humidity pump

• Happy with incubator, but not the optional humidity pump

• Happy with both incubator and humidity pump

• I have the incubator, but not the humidity pump

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Easy to get settings correct and maintained on unit with humidity pump

• Difficult to get settings correct and maintained with humidity pump

• Total voters

mcdougal7

Hatching
Jan 11, 2017
We just purchased a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance Fully Automatic Incubator along with the optional humidity pump. Does anyone have experience with this incubator? Any advice, warnings, tips or tricks to offer? This was not a cheap buy, over 500 for both units, and I'm hoping it will really improve hatch rate. We are gathering eggs now for incubation and was hoping the bator would be here today (Sat) but won't be here until Mon evening. What is the longest eggs can be kept before being set, and still get a good hatch? I've read after 10 days, the hatch rate drops a lot and I want to set them well before that. If we wait for the new bator (and I really want to) the oldest eggs will be 6 days old. We also bought a Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder. Any advice about that would be appreciated also.

Your eggs setting for 6 days shouldn't be hurt a bit. Keep them in egg cartons small end down and tilt them a couple times a day.

The temp on my adv has been very accurate. But I bought a spot check thermometer just to double check the temp.

I don't have the humidity pump. As I incubate at lower humidity 20 to 35 percent. I raise it to 70 plus for lockdown and hatch. Usually I can get that humidity easily by filling both chanels. If I want more surface area I line the bottom with a paper towel tucked into the chanels and fill with warm water.

I have very good hatch results with mine. I've used it for chickens, quail, turkeys, and pheasants.

You made a good choice on this incubator. But I found incubating addicting and 20 eggs wasn't big enough.

Best of luck

Do you cool chicken eggs from day 7 until lock down as suggested? This is the first incubator with this feature that I've owned. Had a styrofoam one before. I'm hoping for a better hatch with this incubator, since I had a hard time keeping a stable temperature with the old Farm Innovator, and hope that temp and humidity will stay at optimum levels with the new Brinsea.

I've used the cool down feature a couple of times. But then just stopped using it. Can't say as to whether it helped or not.

I say try it.

I have heard of some putting eggs in the fridge before hatching. I always just keep them on the counter top room temp. and rock the paper egg cartron left and right a couple times a day by sticking a folded up dishcloth under one side or the other just to keep the air sacs healthy. I only have 4- 7 hens at any one time so getting enough to hatch may take a few days up to a week. Just go with it, see how yours do.

I do love my brinsea 20.... a set and forget incubator. I do check temp daily and add water when needed, but that's all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom