1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea Products Spot Check Thermometer - How in the heck does it work

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lorrir, Oct 21, 2010.

1. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Bought a brand spanking new Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer , but it came with no instructions.

The bugger keeps flashing "L", so I figure the battery is low, so I get a new battery and still the big "L". Exactly how is this thing supposed to work?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    L means the temp is below 90 degrees (or whatever the number was). It's not the battery. I did the same thing!! [​IMG] It only shows a temp if it's within 'incubator' range. [​IMG]

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Yep the L means the temps are to low to register on the thermomitor. It has to be within the range it shows on the front of the thermomitor (cant remember what it is now). But they are super great thermomitors. JEN

4. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Don't feel bad, I did the SAME exact thing. I just knew I bought this thing and it came with a bad battery! [​IMG]

5. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Probe in the bator and working perfectly. I guess I should have used K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can't get it to quit showing "L". It's been in the bator for twenty minutes now. So now what do I do?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    mine showed L too.. so i went out and bought a new battery.. i want to go and put it in ice water to see how accurate it is but i guess now i cant... is their any other tests i can do?

8. Yiannisk

Yiannisk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    put it under your tong to measure your temperature hope you do not have fever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by