Brinsea R-Com vs. Brinsea Octagon 10

horsecrazy

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
central CA
which do you like better?
The R-com holds 3 eggs and is completely automatic (except for water, of course) and the Octa 10 is too, I believe. oh the octa 10 holds 10 (chicken) eggs.
I am looking at these because they seem foolproof...unfortunately a little pricey too:idunno
they both are $130. I am considering getting the r-com because it takes up almost no counter space, and also with only 3 slots it will take a little longer to create a silkie army than 10 slots
roll.png
tongue2.gif

You can get an Octagon 20 for $99.

Brand new small incubators are pretty much a waste of money
sad.png
After a hatch or two you'll want a greater capacity, but won't be able to resell it for much. I started out with the R-COM20, and even that is quite restrictive.

I just looked around on the site, the $130 octa is MANUAL ROTATING - no way!! the rotator is an extra $70!!

the r-com isso much cuter anyways....
wink.png

Manual turning with an Octagon isn't nearly as bad as with something like a Hovabator.

They are so expensive because they are so precise, designed for small hatches of rare birds like parrots etc.

I have a little Rcom. Laugh if you will but I get 100% hatches with it. I can't have a lot of birds anyway, so it is fine. It sits nicely on the counter and is very clean. I like that to hatch chicken eggs you choose the chicken picture, add water and touch yes (or maybe it is start I have to check) on the keypad. Then except for adding additional water a couple of times during the incubation period to a little outside door marked "water" you're done.

I suggest you get the optional green hatching mats for it. On day 18 after it has turned off the turning function- it does this automatically - you remove the eggs and insert the little plastic tray (comes with the unit) to make cleaning up the hatching mess easier and keep shell bits and dander from getting into the turning mechanism. You put down the green mat on top (does not come with the unit and costs about 3 bucks but should come with it INMHO) to give the babies a better surface to walk on and avoid spraddle leg, and put the eggs back in. The whole process takes about a minute. You don't do anything but stare until the babies are dry about 24 hrs after they hatch. Then you move them to the brooder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom