British Tailed Araucana colour project

JaeG

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
British Tailed Araucana are the only Araucana available in New Zealand. The Lavender are the most common but some people are starting to develop them in other colours. We purchased some hatching eggs with a project of our own in mind. We hatched 9 out of 10 eggs we picked up a 3 hours drive away (unfortunately the last chick was malpositioned, most likely due to the humidity taking a dive right before lockdown). They were from Partridge parents. We also got some shipped eggs and managed to hatch 3 out of 8. They are from someone's Birchen project. It was quite amazing the difference between eggs we picked up and ones that had quite a journey to us. They hatched between the 27th and 29th of August.

We ordered 12 more Birchen eggs and they are on day 3 in the incubator. :fl

After lots of research I have figured out how to use those 2 colours to make Silver Blues and Lemon Blues. So that's our project. We will need to use a Partridge rooster over Birchen hens then cross the offspring to produce Brown Reds before we can make the Lemon Blues, so it's more of a long-term goal at this stage.

We ended up with 6 gorgeous Partridge chicks then there are 3 that are much lighter so it will be interesting to see how they turn out. From the Birchen eggs we ended up with 1 Splash (very important for our project), 1 very black baby with the white dot under its chin which will be Birchen, and 1 that's dark but has more of a reddish tint to its down so we'll see how that one turns out too.

We attempted to put a bit of food colouring on the ones that came from the bluest eggs but I think we got more colour on us than on the chicks. 😄

They are very gorgeous and mob our hands every time we put them in the brooder. Our daughter thinks it's hilarious to make them twirl - they will stand up tall to follow her finger and she'll lead them round in a little pirouette. It looks adorable. 🥰 They do look like little ballerinas. They also like to be handfed. I am fermenting their chick starter and they much prefer to eat it off my fingers than out of the bowl! It makes their poop much firmer and easier to clean up when we have them out of the brooder for a little play on the floor.

Fluff.jpg

Pale Baby.jpg

These pale ones are very pretty so I can't wait to see how they feather in.

Crow.jpg
Raven.jpg
Splash.jpg

I'll do my best to be good and update this as we make progress with our project.

The Partridge chicks are feathering quickly. They are 2 weeks old now. I'm starting to get an idea of who's a boy and who's a girl, and the only boy I can see at this point in time is the littlest one. Apparently a Partridge rooster over Birchen hens is the best path to making Brown Reds, so I'm hoping at least one other chicks chest starts to darken up, because the littlest is really quite little compared to the others - almost half their size.

This is my daughter's favourite chick and the first to hatch:
Cyclamen.jpg

This is the littlest one whose chest looks a lot darker:
Littlest.jpg

It is a sweet little scrap.

Some have less chest feathers so I'm not sure which way they are going to go yet. And one of the light partridge chicks has ended up with a single comb. It must be a throw back to whatever was bred in to create the Partridge colour as Lavender was the original colour of Tailed Araucana and the most common colour.

In comparison to the Partridge chicks the 2 Birchen and the Splash chicks have barely started to grow their tails. The Partridge chicks all have big tufty tails now.

Splash.jpg

The Splash is a very pretty bird.

Light Partridge.jpg

This is one of the Light Partridge chicks.

And of my 12 Birchen eggs I'm incubating I still have 10 going strong on day 14. How crazy is that?! I'm kind of hoping they won't all hatch because that's a lot of chicks on top of the first bunch of 12. I got a dozen figuring, after only hatching 3 out of 8 last time, I'd be lucky to get 5 or 6 chicks. But there's still a week to go so we'll see what happens.

This is Blueberry, our Lavender Araucana who is 6 years old now:
Blueberry.jpg

And her sister Skye who is a bit of a funny shape and has never laid strong eggs:
Skye.jpg

Neither laid much at all last summer so it will be nice to have green/blue eggs again.

We had 9 gorgeous babies hatch out on Friday the 18th September. 3 are not Birchen, but I love the fact there's a bit of variety in the group. 2 look to possibly be Golden Duckwing and 1 is likely to be a Lavender.

Lavender.jpg
Duckwings maybe.jpg
Birchen 1.jpg
Birchen 2.jpg
Birchen 3.jpg
Birchen 4.jpg
Birchen 5.jpg

This baby came out fuzzy in the photo shoot, but it's my favourite due to the rings around its eyes, plus it has a very round, chubby face.
Favourites.jpg

And the older chicks are growing fast. They look huge compared to the littlies.

In the Partridge I now think there are 4 cockerels and 2 pullets. I'm not sure yet on the lighter Partridge but the one with the straight comb looks like it's going to be a cockerel. The Birchens and Splash will keep me guessing for quite some time I think because they are barely starting to feather up.

The boys:
Cockerel 1.jpg
Cockerel 2.jpg
Cockerel 3.jpg
Cockerel 4.jpg

The girls:
Pullet 2 side.jpg
Pullet 1 side.jpg
This one will be staying as she was the first to hatch and is an absolute sweetie.

The light yellow chicks:
Blond 1 side.jpg
Blonde 2 side.jpg
Blonde 3 side.jpg

The Birchens:
Birchen 1.jpg
Birchen 2.jpg

Splash:
Splash.jpg

Someone is also crowing in the mornings and I can't work out which chick is doing it! It's kind of a trilling noise at this point.

Last edited:
Our babies are coming up 5 months old now. I've ended up with 3 black birchen (ish) pullets, 2 partridge, and 2 wheaten. I've kept the splash which turned out to be a cockerel (was pretty sure he was) and one of the partridge cockerels turned out to be a black red, so I've kept him over the partridge ones. He's got a bit of attitude, but hasn't been a complete jerk yet. Another boy we've kept just because he's a pretty (though not recognised) colour. We'll try and find a home for him as he seems like a nice little cockerel.

The crests from one breeders birds are, in my opinion, a bit too full, so I'm glad the birds from the other breeder are more sparsely crested. The more fully crested pullets are more docile, and the black ones are a little more assertive, so hopefully things will even out all round. One black birchen pullet is missing a crest altogether but she's got such a sweet nature we're keeping her anyway. The kids have called her Joy.

Birchen hen 3.jpg
Birchen hen 1.jpg
Birchen hen 2.jpg
This birchen girl is quite skittery but she's got the best markings.

Partridge hen.jpg
Wheaten hen.jpg
Black Red Rooster.jpg
Splash Birchen Roo.jpg

Mystery Roo.jpg

I hatched a few eggs to see what I got. I let the splash with the lavender colouring have conjugal visits overnight (they are shut in their coop from 7pm-8am) as the girls free range and I don't trust him around the kids.

5 hatched out and I've given them to my bantam to raise:

This one looks like its father did as a chick:
Chick 1.jpg

Then this striped blue-ish looking one (can't wait to see how this one turns out):
Chick 2.jpg
Chick 2 back.jpg

A partridge-ish looking one, although the last ones I though were duckwing patterned from the eggs I'd bought turned out to look like the last cockerel pictured in the previous post:
Chick 3.jpg

And two blue babies:
Chick 4.jpg
Chick 5.jpg

And one very happy hen:
Sunflower 1.jpg

Our babies are coming up 5 months old now. I've ended up with 3 black birchen (ish) pullets, 2 partridge, and 2 wheaten. I've kept the splash which turned out to be a cockerel (was pretty sure he was) and one of the partridge cockerels turned out to be a black red, so I've kept him over the partridge ones. He's got a bit of attitude, but hasn't been a complete jerk yet. Another boy we've kept just because he's a pretty (though not recognised) colour. We'll try and find a home for him as he seems like a nice little cockerel.

The crests from one breeders birds are, in my opinion, a bit too full, so I'm glad the birds from the other breeder are more sparsely crested. The more fully crested pullets are more docile, and the black ones are a little more assertive, so hopefully things will even out all round. One black birchen pullet is missing a crest altogether but she's got such a sweet nature we're keeping her anyway. The kids have called her Joy.

View attachment 2487127
View attachment 2487124
View attachment 2487125
This birchen girl is quite skittery but she's got the best markings.

View attachment 2487130
View attachment 2487132
View attachment 2487128
View attachment 2487131

View attachment 2487129
The “splash” cockerel is actually blue silver columbian (usually just called blue columbian) and the mystery cockerel is silver columbian (aka columbian or light).

Any updates? I love seeing Araucana projects. I had some shipped eggs meant to be half and half lavender and partridge. Only one hatched and it looks like she’s going to be white.

Back
Top Bottom