Broad breasted turkeys

carbonfibrguy

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Central Florida
I have two males and one female, about 2 and 1/2 months old, and the males have some really ugly bumps growing on their faces. Almost covering one of their eyes, the female still looks ok. Is this normal and what is that exactly.
Also I have one spraddle legged male but he gets around ok and manages to get up his roost at night with the others.
I'm concerned about the bumps on the face though.

Do the bumps look anything like this: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/204801.htm ?

As they are BB's I'd probably put the roost (if any) about a foot above the ground (or just let them sleep on clean bedding) owing to potential stress on legs. We doctored a Spraddle Legged BBB poult/jake for three months. He limped a bit but could get around with his chicken buddies, O.K.. Then, one afternoon, at 4 months of age, he flew off the back deck (only three feet off ground) did great until he landed. Had to put him down as leg completely gave out.

If the bumps are Fowl Pox, daub iodine on lesions. If it is the dry form it will probably clear up, eventually. If it develops into the wet form then the chances aren't so good.

Thank you for your response,
My spraddle legged boy gets around ok now...he gets up on several roost from 1-5 feet up and he sleeps on a roost in the top of the coop with the rest of them. I am concerned that as he puts on weight he may run into trouble unless he gets stronger as he gets older.
He does walk like grandpa McCoy, but he climbs and he runs with the group.
As for the bumps, yes I believe they are the pox. They form a scab and look hidious. My Wife has been putting antibiotic ointment on them and keeping them as clean as possible.
From what I have read thats about all you can do...is that right?
And should turkeys and chickens be kept seperate or is that just a judgement call?
Thanks again,

E.J. Roell
Apopka, Florida

Keeeping the chooks and turks on the same ground is a judgment call. Check with your State Vet/DNR/Uvet school. Try to get a handle on the incidence/prevalence of `Blackhead' (Histomoniasis) in your region Keeping all poultry in clean, dry runs (we use sand) and regular worming schedule will go a long way to limiting potential (lots of members keep chooks and turks without incident - just depends on whether protozoan is in the soil).

Iodine daubed on pox will help dry out individual lesions, it is a viral disease, not unlike human Chickenpox and the dry form usually runs its course and that's that.

you might consider keeping your BB's on a diet (if you are not planning on eating them).

Back
Top Bottom