Broad breasted white egg laying questions

Kentucky Fan

Chirping
Dec 1, 2023
East Kentucky
IMG_2057.jpeg

This is my girl Tillie I have her and two males due to my wife and I falling in love with their gentle nature and my child adoring them. My question and reason for joining this site is she lays eggs started two months ago and she lays a ton of them.

IMG_2143.jpeg

This is after I cooked breakfast this morning the original count was 17 eggs total with 5 being hers (Friday morning the dogs get eggs too I didn’t eat ten eggs on my own lol). What I’m saying is I have 5 laying hens and she is out laying every one of them by a pretty good margin. Should I be concerned about her nutrition especially with it being in the twenties at night this week? I provide oyster shell at will for them I have been feeding 16% layer feed (dumor from tsc) and they get out to exercise and forage regularly they all seem happy and what not I just want to make sure I’m not doing them a disservice. Is there anything else I need to be doing? Also do turkeys normally lay like this? The eggs while hard to crack are very good eating I may get more turkey hens in the future if so.

Be very careful keeping two toms with one hen. Broad breasted varieties are likely to live longer on a lower protein diet.like Purina's Game Bird Maintenance.

The tom's have enough going against them that I would not feed them a layer feed. The high calcium content can cause them to get kidney damage.

Turkeys are seasonal layers. They will not lay year round. It's not uncommon for first year hens to lay up to four days in a row before taking a day off. As they get older they tend to not lay as much.

Giving them artificial light can cause them to lay outside of their normal cycle of spring through fall.

Turkey eggs are highly desired for baking. They make excellent custards. The people that get eggs from me look forward to turkey egg season.

Be very careful keeping two toms with one hen. Broad breasted varieties are likely to live longer on a lower protein diet.like Purina's Game Bird Maintenance.

The tom's have enough going against them that I would not feed them a layer feed. The high calcium content can cause them to get kidney damage.

Turkeys are seasonal layers. They will not lay year round. It's not uncommon for first year hens to lay up to four days in a row before taking a day off. As they get older they tend to not lay as much.

Giving them artificial light can cause them to lay outside of their normal cycle of spring through fall.

Turkey eggs are highly desired for baking. They make excellent custards. The people that get eggs from me look forward to turkey egg season.
I have one tom that gets frisky the other is pretty calm but the hen will attack the frisky one if he tries anything he hurt her once and that was it she won’t let him near her now he is more a problem for the chickens but they tend to get away. I keep the chickens and turkeys together will the Tom’s be smart enough to avoid the oyster shell if I switch their food? Because as long as I have oyster shell my layers will be fine correct?

I have one tom that gets frisky the other is pretty calm but the hen will attack the frisky one if he tries anything he hurt her once and that was it she won’t let him near her now he is more a problem for the chickens but they tend to get away. I keep the chickens and turkeys together will the Tom’s be smart enough to avoid the oyster shell if I switch their food? Because as long as I have oyster shell my layers will be fine correct?
The toms will kill the chickens eventually.

The toms will leave the oyster shell alone. If your hens are production layers they may need layer feed and oyster shell. The same can happen with older hens too.

Your tom's pecking order can change at anytime but mostly happens during breeding season.

The toms will kill the chickens eventually.

The toms will leave the oyster shell alone. If your hens are production layers they may need layer feed and oyster shell. The same can happen with older hens too.

Your tom's pecking order can change at anytime but mostly happens during breeding season.
So I’m assuming it may be a good idea to go with separate enclosures then? Would you leave the female turkey with the hens or just separate by species?

So I’m assuming it may be a good idea to go with separate enclosures then? Would you leave the female turkey with the hens or just separate by species?
She only needs to have access to one tom during breeding season. The tom should not have access to her nest.

Keeping the turkeys separated from the chickens is best but if necessary, they are safer with the hen than the toms.

Back
Top Bottom