Brodee passed away today...RIP Ch. Davmoor Vision Keeper :(

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the support.

I know I probably overreacted last night...my emotions were raw and I wanted to blame someone. I know that accidents happen and sometimes they are not all that preventable after all.

I tried to make it through work today but lost it and ended up going home early. I had 4 hours of comp time anyway and I'm mostly caught up--so my boss told me to just go home and relax.

I did get an e-mail this morning about the vet bill. It is over $1,000 what a great thing to have happen right during the holidays. Sighs. I am hoping that I will be able to sell a few things to help offset the cost. Unfortunately, with my reduced work schedule now (cut back to part time), DH's master's degree he's starting soon (we got a loan for that), his teeth debt, our home improvement loan we did for the bathroom, and the holidays, we're broke.
sad.png

So anyone want any jewelry/clothes/hatching eggs/chickens/art work? I need to clean out my closet and see what I can come up with.

Did you contact the vet and talk to them directly? I would do that first before paying anything or doing anything further.

I have mixed feelings about you being responsible for the vet bill. He was not in your care. Further more not in the lady's care you trusted. Did you know he was not in her care? How does anyone know how he was feed and cared for that may have caused this. I would also be asking some of these questions to the vet.

Oh I am so sorry! It flooded my memories of my own three Borzois but thankfully none of them died of bloat. I am aware that deep chested breeds DO get bloat and you must do anything to keep it from happening.

Yes good breeders do NOT want any money for their champion dogs and they simply want good homes for them.

I had the fortunate opporunity to adopt one of Patricia Murphy's champion grump, CH Oaklara's Liberty Belle SC. She was such a sweet dog and an honor to have her such a very short time of untimely death of a blood clot in her heart. It was a very heavy heart that I had to face this and realized I wanted another one as soon as possible.

So Pat gave me TWO neutered boys, both are brothers, Otto and Oakey, they are real class clowns and fuddy duddy of a personality that they LOVE anyone including kids. Oakey died one morning after battling cancer and Otto was put down two years later, of real bad skin problems that the price of the medications he needed was so out of reach and he was "getting on in years" of nine and half years old. He did suffer a stroke just like his father did, Oaklara's Ice Cream and I caught in time for Otto to ahve a 100 percent recovery time. None of the boys were shown but I can tell they were so well loved and so well mannered, they were owned by an elderly couple who no longer could keep them at the nursing home so they gave the boys back to the breeder. I've had them for three short years and every bit of it was so worth it. Oakey was built like an oversized white collie, he didnt have that slender arch like body like his brother did. Otto has more of a champion look about him but the faults were that he was missing his two canine teeth on the bottom and neutered. I wish AKC would allow neuter/spayed dogs in a different class of their own.

I wanted another one but I had an infant at that time. Patricia told me she would not advise me to get one as adopted adult because she has NO way of knowing how the dog would react and they do not like running, screaming noisy rambauous kids all around them. She said wait a few years until my daughter goes to middle school and then we can talk again about adopting another one (or two LOL). Hubby does not care for them because they are big dogs and big vet bills. yeah I can understand that!

In due time, I hope you will find your heart to get another one, the pictures made me cry again. We both will miss our Borzois.

When you hire a handler, depending on the contract, the dog's owner is 100 percent liable for the vet expenses UNLESS it was promoted, encourage or deliberately done to injure, maim or kill the dog. I do not think the handler would feed her dog full and let them out for a run.....I don't think she would have a motive to do so after having the dog that long and doing so well in shows.

I've not had contact with Patricia for a long time, roughly four years ago? I am wondering if she is still raising Borzois or did she retire?

Quote:
This dog was passed on to other people for the trip there and back and maybe the op did not know of this happening. My understanding is the handler was only there for the show because she could not get work off. It does not sound like the op new of all this before letting him go so I doubt that is in the contract if she signed one.

I believe the vet bill is something that should be discussed between the co-owners (that's the legal relationship here, not owner and handler - if it was just handler, it's correct that the owner is responsible for all fees; since it's a co-owner it should have been spelled out in the co-own contract). Co-ownership expenses are one of the reasons that dog-people relationships go down in flames - somebody thought they'd get the stud fee; somebody thought the other one would pay for the vet bills; the other one thought the first would pay for the entry fees. Hopefully in this case there's already a clear expectation of who pays for what.

A good friend and I did a swap recently; her boy came here for a few months and my class b*tch went there. If something happened to her boy, I'm to call her if the expenses are going to be over a hundred bucks; she would do the same for me. She could probably afford a grand for surgery; I could not. It's when nobody knows where to go for the decision making and somebody spends somebody else's three thousand dollars that things get hairy.

If the op had no knowledge of her dog being handed off to some one else the contract was broken unless it states in there that is allowed to be done. The op did not break the contract it appears based on what we know that the person she let take the dog did so she should be responsible based on that imo.

Back
Top Bottom