brodies and to make em

chookhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
hello to evryone out there i have 6 lovely hens that have layed thru winter for 2 yrs and i was wondering when they would go broody i have 1 giant australorp she is beautiful and healthy but not currentyl laying and a light/speckled sussex and both have no interes tin eggs, the funny thing is my other hens are production breeds like isa brown red sexlink and a mystery hen. the isa has started showing signs or broodiness like sittin on the nest for a very very very very long period of time and while she is on the nest she tunrs that eggs and acts broody and stares in to no where i tap her beak and no reaction at all she sits ther spread over the eggs so does anyone noe wat she is doin and how to get my australorp to broody btw my australorp has brooded b4 but the previous owners made her get up and the white sussex is only 1 year old so they are my only hope and how to kjeep the isa brown don on the nest because hse gets up in the middle of the day and forgets the eggs exist lol sorry for the long explaination so be very happy that ur hens are actually brooding i am dyin here i want babies

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

First you can't make them go broodie. They take it upon themselves when they get the urge.

Sounds like your other girl IS broodie. Some of mine sit tight and others get up for a long time and then back on the nest. They do need to eat and better they poop of the nest than on. I have two broodies right now. Most of my Games hatched out eggs this summer. One of my FBCMs is sitting now and the hatch is due the 10th. Some of the eggs she had have been broken. She's down to only one FBCM egg and one SPPR. They others are EEs and Olive Eggers, darn it.

I think if your bird does go back and especially if she's sitting thight at night you should be ok.

I have a Game that hatched out a few chicks a couple of months ago. She's back sitting again. I left her with two eggs. One is her's and one from another Game. If she is still sitting in the morning I'll add what I want her to hatch and snatch the others out.

I hope you get someo f your girls to hatch something nice out for you.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio!
It also depends on where you live. It is getting colder here, and is not a great time to hatch chicks. Another thing-some breeds are not "broody types."

welcome-byc.gif

I wish there was a way to make hens broody...I like letting nature take its course. I even have orpingtons, supposedly known for broodiness, but none of mine were told that!

Back
Top Bottom