Brody hen question

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So I moved my broody hen into my garage on Thursday, June 23rd and she has not got off the nest and it is Sunday now. She has eaten and drank a little when I put it by the nest but will not get up off the nest. There are also no poops in the Broody Box. Should I pull her off the nest once a day or should I just leave her to her own devices? Should I be worried? She has plenty of food and water within her reach. Biggest question is if I should take her of the nest for a little bit each day.

So I moved my broody hen into my garage on Thursday, June 23rd and she has not got off the nest and it is Sunday now. She has eaten and drank a little when I put it by the nest but will not get up off the nest. There are also no poops in the Broody Box. Should I pull her off the nest once a day or should I just leave her to her own devices? Should I be worried? She has plenty of food and water within her reach. Biggest question is if I should take her of the nest for a little bit each day.
I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a first time broody. She hasn't been getting off her nest at all the last few days. I've been taking her off the nest once a day in the evening and making her drink and it eat. I only saw her poop once since she's gone broody.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a first time broody. She hasn't been getting off her nest at all the last few days. I've been taking her off the nest once a day in the evening and making her drink and it eat. I only saw her poop once since she's gone broody.
I heard that the first three days they don’t really get up because it’s the most crucial for developing the embryo but I think I’m gonna start doing what you’re doing and taking her off once a day. I am seeing her eat and drink a little but no poop in three days so…..

I’ve had the best luck letting a chicken be a chicken. Don’t feed/water them on the nest. They will come off, drop the nastiest smelling huge pile of poo, take a quick duster, drink like they’re going to die….. then load up on feed and make a run straight back for the nest.
I’ll give it a few more days I just really hope she’s not hurting herself.

She has plenty of food and water within her reach.
This is a problem. Move it farther away. Feeding a sitting hen on a nest before chicks are hatched is unnecessary and may actually be part of the problem. Once chicks are hatched then I like to put feed nearby.

I heard that the first three days they don’t really get up because it’s the most crucial for developing the embryo
You heard wrong.. in my experience and opinion.

Biggest question is if I should take her of the nest for a little bit each day.
Usually it isn't necessary.. But if she indeed hasn't pooped then I definitely would.

Happy hatching and healthy broody! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

This is a problem. Move it farther away. Feeding a sitting hen on a nest before chicks are hatched is unnecessary and may actually be part of the problem. Once chicks are hatched then I like to put feed nearby.

You heard wrong.. in my experience and opinion.

Usually it isn't necessary.. But if she indeed hasn't pooped then I definitely would.

Happy hatching and healthy broody! :fl:jumpy:jumpy
She is into 2 1/2×4 broody box. I’ll move the food and water to the other side of the box. I’ll try to pick her up off the nest to poop today also

I heard that the first three days they don’t really get up because it’s the most crucial for developing the embryo but I think I’m gonna start doing what you’re doing and taking her off once a day. I am seeing her eat and drink a little but no poop in three days so…..
I definitely waited more than three days, at first I saw some dust on her beak to show that she was eating but then she stopped getting up. I check on her through the day, she's a spicy one to be sure! Hehe

Back
Top Bottom