Broiler Chick w/ growth on chest- can I keep her as a pet

blueheeler1998

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Hello. I have a cornish x. She has a growth on her chest. She is about 9 weeks old. She is about the size a regular chicken would be at 9 weeks. Beautifully feathered with no signs of disease. Clear eyes, healthy appetite, solid droppings. Since she isn't growing super fast like the others I bought with her, I was wondering if I would be able to keep her. I wouldn't eat her since she has a mystery growth on her chest. I tried to remove air thinking it is a ruptured air sac, but there is no air. It is on both sides of her chest, so I don't think it is her crop. Thought rather than cull her, I could keep her with my layers. Anyone have any thoughts?

I am not sure I would put her in with other chickens, since you don't know what is actually wrong with her. She is likely not to live long anyway.

Quote:
2x any Cornish x's would not live too much longer. When it is time to butcher her siblings, you might want to butcher her as well.

Quote:
2x any Cornish x's would not live too much longer. When it is time to butcher her siblings, you might want to butcher her as well.

There are members her with CX's who've lived 2-5 years.

I'd give it a try myself. If she's not suffering, why on earth not?

I have read on here about people who have older cornish x. She really seams in very good health other wise. Her siblings were butchered two weeks ago. She is alone right now. I wouldn't eat her even if we did kill her. She is small like our RIR pullets were at her age, plus not much point if I wouldn't eat the breast.

My daughters RIRs are going to the county fair soon, except for 1. Thought she might be good company for the 1 staying home. Not sure what I will do. Wish someone else had a similar situation. Thanks for your input.

In that case when her siblings are gone, it would be OK to keep the other one company as long she is not ill. Just limit how much food you put in front of her to slow her growth down.

MOST Cornish X's die before six months of age but any that lives longer are the exceptions. Dedicated care, restricted feed, and "luck of the draw" genetics would all play a part in the Cornish X's longevity. It would be interesting to see if more and more people would keep their Cornish X's alive for more than a year but I say a good 90 percent won't.

Quote:
You are right about most of them not living long. I kept my Cornish around for 4 years.

As you said, you have to be dedicated to them as I was. I think that is why they lived to be 4 years. They were on a well thought out plan as far as feeding and exercising.

Quote:
I have to agree.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom