Broiler chicken found on the highway - advice?

I was just reading in another thread about CX that they can actually grow in size faster than their bodies can cover them with feathers. I don't know if that continues into their later days, but that *might* account for her lesser coverage.
Yes, that kinda makes sense. Feathers are pretty thin in some of the photos I've seen. I worry that she would be cold if she goes outside in the next couple of weeks.

So, three weeks later, she is outside in a small older coop and temporary pen, getting acquainted with the rest of the flock. Doing very well so far.

She has been sitting in the doorway for three hours as in the picture below.

She has never lived on two levels before and doesn't want to use the ramp. The first few days I nudged her out the door. I got back from the dentist yesterday at 930 and she was still sitting there, so I gently pushed her out, because that's more than 14 hours without food or water.
BF says leave her alone and she'll work up the courage to go down when she's hungry enough. Am I worrying too much? Any tips on training this baby to go up and down the ramp? The other chickens figured it out, but they had each other for guidance; she doesn't have anyone but me and doesn't much care what I have to say lol. Any advice?

Attachments

• Bianca in doorway.jpg
    Bianca in doorway.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 9
She just came out a few minutes ago, it was very awkward. Now I'm afraid the ramp is too dangerous. So, I think we'll be making other accomodations for her. She seems to enjoy being outside, but maybe should be housed at ground level.
That sounds like a good plan.
Our own Cornish cross were raised out on grass with a decent amount of space and many of them could fly up to the top of the 5 gallon water bucket we had in there. But I doubt your chicken was raised with that kind of space accommodations.. It's nice you're gonna do something else for her. 😊

Back
Top Bottom