Broiler feed to a couple roosters?

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
To make a long story short, a lady at work gave me 2 rooster chicks that are probabl 2 weeks older than my cornishxs.

I know for sure they are roosters, and I told the lady I was gonna eat them . . .

Can I just put them in with the cornishx and let them eat the broiler feeds?
Maybe they will be nice and fat for butchering day in 8 weeks?

I do not know what kind of chickens they are, but they look similar to my RIR hen chicks.

You can do whatever you want.

The broilers will be gone before anybody notice, anyway. The feed wont hurt 'em and will probably give them a growth spurt.

I figure that its perfect that they are 2 weeks older, and hopefully the broiler feed will fatten them up.

I see many videos on youtube of people processing roosters that are so "tall and skinny" it doesnt even look worthwhile . ..
Hopefully those were older roosters . . .

If Im gonna do it, I want nice plump birds, otherwise Ill just let them go at the park with all the other roosters . . .

I guess Im not really asking if I CAN, cause I know I can, Im asking if it will give me the results I desire?

Quote:
Probably not

Dual purpose cockerels will never attain the same weight and body mass of a genetic meat cross bird.
You will be able to tell the difference, but, hey, the dumplings they share the pot with won't.

They won't be ready at 8 weeks but they will be sooner on broiler rations than otherwise.

Thats all I can ask for then . . .

Thankyou

PS- I dont necassarily know that the roosters in question are dual purpose.
They were bought for the lady's kids, Id suspect they were the cheapest in the store . . .
They def aint white.

Im going to put them in the "food" cage tomoro, fatten them up as much as I can.

Last edited:
I raised 25ct duel roos from McMurray and I feed them the high protein game/meat bird feed...I have to say that the cornishx way bigger faster. I do think majority of the roos did grow a bit bigger than not feeding the high protein feed but higher protein feed also costs more here so if I really gained much from feeding higher ration...I dont know. I might try doing side by side comparison feeding different feed this year weigh feed amount and birds to fully keep track and compare the birds FCR to find out for sure what yeilds best in the big picture.

I personally think that our duel older roos taste better than our cornishx though. A+ in flavor. I processed those birds at 4-5 month range. the cornish are far more plump than duels ever got on the high feed.
it all goes back what I person likes and feels is worth it.

be interested to hear your results and thoughts from experience with feed results.
smile.png

Chicky~Buddy :

I raised 25ct duel roos from McMurray and I feed them the high protein game/meat bird feed...I have to say that the cornishx way bigger faster. I do think majority of the roos did grow a bit bigger than not feeding the high protein feed but higher protein feed also costs more here so if I really gained much from feeding higher ration...I dont know. I might try doing side by side comparison feeding different feed this year weigh feed amount and birds to fully keep track and compare the birds FCR to find out for sure what yeilds best in the big picture.

I personally think that our duel older roos taste better than our cornishx though. A+ in flavor. I processed those birds at 4-5 month range. the cornish are far more plump than duels ever got on the high feed.
it all goes back what I person likes and feels is worth it.

be interested to hear your results and thoughts from experience with feed results.
smile.png

There is an excellent thread over here about meat birds:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303294&p=18

Your
observations jibe pretty much with the "old fashioned" way of doing things - back before they had Cornish X meat birds. Come join this thread?

Thanks.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom