Broiler finisher feed vs layer feed

Jojosmith

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
I'm new at raising backyard chickens. My first hen was given to me already laying. Her eggs are larger than extra large store bought eggs and yummy. I got 2 more pullets. From about 12 weeks, they were given broiler finisher feed
1f62c.png
by mistake. Now they are about 20 weeks. One of them just started laying. The other one will start anytime. I've switched to layer feed and supplementing with crushed oyster shells. Did I adversely affect my new layers by giving them broiler feed for a couple of months? What should I expect?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I doubt you did any harm. You just gave them a very high protein feed. If you had fed this for years on end, it would probably cause issues, but not the short period of time you fed this. Young chicks and pullets can handle some high proteins at that age since they are growing so fast.

Make sure to offer up the oyster shell on the side as well if they need more calcium.

Congrats on the first eggs!!! Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I think that your hens will be fine. The layer feed that you are now giving them will provide them with the calcium that they need for egg production. Broiler grower feed is simply a high-protein feed designs for rapid growth. Your hens didn't need that, but it shouldn't have harmed them.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, they'll be fine. Just put them back on the other feed until they reach 18 weeks.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on those first eggs! X3, the little extra protein shouldn't make any difference with your girls for the time you had them on it.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom