Broiler finisher feed vs layer feed

Jojosmith

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
I'm new at raising backyard chickens. My first hen was given to me already laying. Her eggs are larger than extra large store bought eggs and yummy. I got 2 more pullets. From about 12 weeks, they were given broiler finisher feed
1f62c.png
by mistake. Now they are about 20 weeks. One of them just started laying. The other one will start anytime. I've switched to layer feed and supplementing with crushed oyster shells. Did I adversely affect my new layers by giving them broiler...

I'm new at raising backyard chickens. My first hen was given to me already laying. Her eggs are larger than extra large store bought eggs and yummy. I got 2 more pullets. From about 12 weeks, they were given broiler finisher feed
1f62c.png
by mistake. Now they are about 20 weeks. One of them just started laying. The other one will start anytime. I've switched to layer feed and supplementing with crushed oyster shells. Did I adversely affect my new layers by giving them broiler...

Not at all. Many folks maintain their flocks on high protein feed (broiler finisher is high in protein in comparison to, say, layer ration ) throughout their lives, including while actively laying - as long as you meet a hen's extra calcium needs while she is actively laying you can use a grower/finisher, all-flock, etc .

No, just make sure that they have enough calcium. Broiler feed is for bulking up roosters when they are in their final stations of growing so they can be eaten sooner. Just keep supplementing them and check to see how hard their eggshells are.

Hmmm I wonder if that's the reason why one of the hens was so aggressive towards the smaller hen. Since I've switched from broiler feed, she doesn't seem as aggressive.

Yay. Both hens are now laying. The eggs are small, as expected. About how long does it take for the eggs to get to its potential size?

Back
Top Bottom